Discuss New build - DNO supply question in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

richy3333

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Belated Happy New Year everyone (this is my 1st thread of 2012)

I have 2 new builds to do and have a query about the DNO supply cable.

The customer has said that the DNO have told him to supply and install the supply cable and they will then join it to the grid and at the other end to the temporary board (that I'm fitting) for the site. The weird thing is they dont appear to have provided a specification for what type and size of cable they want? Whether they will supply an earth etc.

The supply in the area is overhead and the nearest transformer (where the DNO say the supply will come form) is about 1KM away. The supply cable from the transformer is to be laid underground.

Now maybe the customer hasn't told me everything but it does sound a bit odd that the DNO haven't supplied more info? I wondered what other peeps thought?

is about 1KM away. The supply cable from the transformer is to be laid underground.

Wouldnt fancy pricing to do that :leaving:

Think someone may have got their wires (excuse the pun) crossed, does seem a bit extreme

Last edited:
Could this not be a customer who has been quoted an exorbitant amount from the DNO trying to save a few quid by getting you to do it. In my experience, and probably yours, the DNO employ their own contractors to carry out this kind of work.
Maybe it's just my nasty suspicious mind but I'd be ringing the DNO for clarification

Yeah I wondered too...
I know the local DNO guy but he's currently off work with the flu so didn't want to bother him at the moment (his wife was far from impressed when I rang last week to report a failed earth on another job!).

Customers asked me to source the cable so there should be some $$ to be made :)

Belated Happy New Year everyone (this is my 1st thread of 2012)

I have 2 new builds to do and have a query about the DNO supply cable.

The customer has said that the DNO have told him to supply and install the supply cable and they will then join it to the grid and at the other end to the temporary board (that I'm fitting) for the site. The weird thing is they dont appear to have provided a specification for what type and size of cable they want? Whether they will supply an earth etc.

The supply in the area is overhead and the nearest transformer (where the DNO say the supply will come form) is about 1KM away. The supply cable from the transformer is to be laid underground.

Now maybe the customer hasn't told me everything but it does sound a bit odd that the DNO haven't supplied more info? I wondered what other peeps thought?

My advice to you, is that you do nothing until you have spoken to the DNO area manager. You need to know type and size of cable, burial depth trench back-fill procedure etc!! Not sure if your working direct or subbing for your boss or sole trader, but if your subbing/sole trader, be very careful on this section of work. Lot's to think about, you can't just go excavating a KM without the various permissions and clearances

Last edited by a moderator:
company i work for had a similar thing but price was extorsionate even when we dug trench and supplied cable price difference for DNO doing full job or "just connecting" wasnt much difference as Engineer sayd check with DNO Area manager re everything and probably the L.A. re permissions to dig also the national roadworks register ( it use to be SUZYPHONE) for approxomate locations of other services gas bt cable ect ect

Cheers all. I'm not doing the work, the builder will. I was just asked to supply the cable, so I asked what was wanted. I'm not stupid enough to get embroiled in a situation that could go pear shaped, but have to look helpful as I have the two houses to wire up :)

Its a private croft access road Mogga with 1 existing house. Gas services - whats that then ;)

Reply to New build - DNO supply question in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net