Discuss New build domestic as an apprentice or Telecom ac/dc exchange as a mate. Any advice? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kage85

Hi everyone wondering if anyone can give me any advice, I have a final interview this week for an electrical apprenticeship and have been offered to work as a mate on telecom electrical installations ac/dc exchange systems working with DC electricity at 50V, inverters and rectifiers among three phase work too.

If anyone has any experience of the latter I'd be very grateful if you could give me any advice on a few things.
First being job stability the firm the electrician works for recently laid everyone off and re hired them self employed and I would be self employed under him. Another concern is how useful this experience can be to find work in this field if things did go wrong with that firm as it seems a very competitive market and im told the hiring firm have recently won a big contract so once that finishes there could be a huge change around.

The reason I have concerns and would like to weigh up the options is. The apprenticeship in new build domestic is with a big company and if I keep my head down and get on with the job and learning it should touching wood be a stable job and clear route to being fully qualified and hopefully a career to build with them. The other job I would be self employed learning along the way but specifically for telecom ac/dc exchange which does look quite interesting and pays extremely well, however less stable and I don't know how easy it is to find work in that field if required too.

Any advice welcome, thanks for reading.

Re: New build domestic as an apprentice or Telecom ac/dc exchange as a mate. Any advi

i would go with the domestic side. looks more stable. the telecoms thing is self-employed. they could drop you at an hour's notice.

Re: New build domestic as an apprentice or Telecom ac/dc exchange as a mate. Any advi

Go Domestic !!!! Self employed to doggy in these times.

Tough choice!

Stable apprenticeship, but in domestic; or the infinitely more interesting telecoms/industrial route, but no security.

Choose wisely, my friend! :confused::confused5:

Reply to New build domestic as an apprentice or Telecom ac/dc exchange as a mate. Any advice? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net