• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss New build house, socket near sink in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Morming,

Just a quick question, I’m buying a new build house from crest, on a walk around, we noticed that a socket is placed directly above the draining board. We spoken to the site and been told that it located 320mm away from the sink and that fine, but it located above the drainer, we are unhappy about this, is there anything we can do?

Thanks

The building regs guidance is 300mm from a sink - but above the draining board is simply stupid.

I would ask them politely if they can move it!

Part P 5.2.2 (OSG) refers to kitchen sinks and draining boards, with regard to 300mm distance.

Bizarrely I went to a prospective customer in a recent new build, wanting an extra socket in the kitchen. He wanted the socket put to the right of the draining board, which had about 150mm of worktop to the wall. I declined stating Building Regs, and suggested an alternate location for the new socket. Came back to me later, said he still wanted socket next to drainer :rolleyes:

Might be worth asking any neighbors who have the same house type as you if they have a socket in the same position in the kitchen.
If they have then your chances of getting it moved free of charge are slim I’d say.

My flat is built by crest in bath and the contractor they used are a well known large contractor in the area. I wont name them!! mine is shared ownership and suits me purely as its centrally located and since gone up a lot in value.
found many a hidden issue lurking in the walls, poorly terminated cables. cables run through walls and all tangled up in the cupboard void above a fire panel. consumer unit with mcb's and different cable sizes to those on the certificate.. I also tested everything and struggle to see how they ever got the results they obtained.
I have since upgraded to all rcbo's and corrected things.
I currently live next to a building site where crest are still working on other properties and i am sure many people have good experiences but given what i see day in and day out. i would be reluctant to spend the money on one of the new build homes.

My understanding is that the 300mm rule applies to distance from the basin, not the draining board.
Further, the distance can be measured verticaly, horizontally or diagonally.

My understanding is that the 300mm rule applies to distance from the basin, not the draining board.
Further, the distance can be measured verticaly, horizontally or diagonally.

Firstly, apologies to all with my reference to OSG in #4, I was actually quoting from Electricians Guide to Building Regs.

According to the guidance given in 'Electricians Guide to Building Regs' (IET 17th cited here), it does include the space occupied by the draining board. Although its only guidance, this publication seems to be used as a reference to good practise; its referred to in the NHBC guidance I quoted earlier, whom might provided a build warranty for the OP's new pad.

It appears the guidance only relates to the distance horizontally between faceplate and/or appliance, sink & draining board. As most domestic sinks with draining board, could have a movable tap, this seems to make perfect sense.

Of course these dimensions are not provided in the Building Regs (as far as I'm aware), so not statutory, and the guidance given in the EGBR is informative & guidance only.

Apologies OP; I've tried to upload a copy of the relevant pages from EGBR or copy & paste, but I'm just getting an error message. I'll try again later.

posts #13 and #14 show totally conflicting info. no wonder OP is confused.com.

So troubled, I rang NHBC to enquire about their amendment of guidance in 2016, i.e. why & where from? They said it was more realistic, and from consultation with their members and partners?

I also rang Elecsa, who said it was still 300mm yada yada. I've emailed Electrical Safety First, to see if they can sink this one with a counter work top argument.

I've had a bit of a boring day :)

Last edited:

Reply to New build house, socket near sink in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back