Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss New C/U and gas pipe separation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Samsparks

HI

Does anyone know if the regs on 150mm seperation between c/u and gas pipes are still the same with the c/u's being all metal now?

Thanks
Sam

Thanks, it says in osg (green one) that separation of at least 150mm to be provided unless a non combustable barrier of insulating material Is interposed, would the metal c/u be suitable as a non combustable barrier as ive gone and installed one thinking it would be and now ive got an inspector on my back asking me to move it.

Does the metal c/u case act as a non combustable barrier as it states separation of 150mm unless a non combustable barrier is imposed?

Thanks, it says in osg (green one) that separation of at least 150mm to be provided unless a non combustable barrier of insulating material Is interposed, would the metal c/u be suitable as a non combustable barrier as ive gone and installed one thinking it would be and now ive got an inspector on my back asking me to move it.

What inspector has asked you to move it?

Metal is generally speaking not an insulating material so no it does not comply with the gas safety requirement

I've tried to download & read a copy of BS 6891:2005 before now, you can but they won't to add some iffey documents as well.

Best quotation I found was on Voltimum web site; BS 6891:2005 Installation of low pressure gas pipework in domestic premises, clause 8.16.2 states that gas installation pipes must be spaced at least 150mm away from electricity meters, controls, electrical switches or sockets, distribution boards or consumer units.

And Regulation 528.3.3 (BS7671) requires that where an electrical service is installed in proximity to a non-electrical service, it must be arranged so that any foreseeable operation carried out on the other service will not cause damage to the electrical service or the converse. This can be achieved by suitable spacing or mechanical or thermal shielding.

Also referred to in OSG.So as Dillb says, who's the inspector? Can you move the gas pipe?

Reply to New C/U and gas pipe separation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net