Discuss New Consumer Unit - Fussy Customer - PV future proof in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
My next job is to install a new Consumer unit for a really fussy customer.........ME!

My goto brand is Hager, but will look at others. I also like Wylex, but typically don't fit for customers because of price.
I'm not interested in cheap, but full RCBO installation might be over the top.

It needs to be a big box, I need a minimum of 16 circuits, by the time I separate out, probably more.
I've not done a double CU before, but I'm thinking a double will give me a lot of space for future. But all the Hager boards I see only have 2 RCD's. That does not seem enough. How are you guy's configuring your doubles. Maybe 2 RCD on the bottom and RCBO's on the top? Is it easy to install more neutral bars, or are they already preconfigured for several RCD's?
I'm also wanting to future proof, at some point I will take a PV course and install solar panels. But at present I have no experience of PV.
With this in mind, what board should I now consider, I see Wylex seem to do a lot of PV stuff ?

My next job is to install a new Consumer unit for a really fussy customer.........ME!

My goto brand is Hager, but will look at others. I also like Wylex, but typically don't fit for customers because of price.
I'm not interested in cheap, but full RCBO installation might be over the top.

It needs to be a big box, I need a minimum of 16 circuits, by the time I separate out, probably more.
I've not done a double CU before, but I'm thinking a double will give me a lot of space for future. But all the Hager boards I see only have 2 RCD's. That does not seem enough. How are you guy's configuring your doubles. Maybe 2 RCD on the bottom and RCBO's on the top? Is it easy to install more neutral bars, or are they already preconfigured for several RCD's?
I'm also wanting to future proof, at some point I will take a PV course and install solar panels. But at present I have no experience of PV.
With this in mind, what board should I now consider, I see Wylex seem to do a lot of PV stuff ?
You can get an SPD and mainswitch only double decker from Hager, I've fitted a few.

Any wholesaler will be able to get one....

...although the last one I got was the wrong size, had to fit it regardless as it was a booked in shut down.

Ended up with more blanks than RCBOs,
20210529_214223.jpg
20210529_214216.jpg
20210529_214207.jpg
20210529_214211.jpg

Very decadent.

I think Fusebox are great. They are very affordable compared to others and seem to have everything you need. They also have the double layered CU which you are after, plus an even bigger one if you want. I would fit it with all RCBO's as they are only around ÂŁ10 - ÂŁ12 each.

Hello I have fitted a few of those Hager double boards, a really excellent board, and you know Parts will still be available in another 5-10 years!
Having said that I have fitted a few of those fusebox ones too and they are a great cheap board!
But in my own place I would most likely fit a Hager!
Sy

Yeah, a major brand is defo my preferred as I can get parts easily. Saving ÂŁ50 is not an issue.

But I'm more interested in the PV side, I have no experience with this, so want a CU that is future proof.
Wylex have a nice diagram that show parts required for new install, vs existing upgrade.
It does not like I can get it wrong, but I like the idea of doing it all in one CU.

Has anyone done any PV work, what do you recommend, the only PCV consumer unit I have found is Wylex, but it's only 16 way, so gonna be tight.

I used to do PV installs some 7-10 years ago so am not up with the latest regulations on it, but in the old days the system used to just go on an appropriately sized MCB or RCBO situated in the con unit with an export meter somewhere in line.

I've spoken to Wylex, they now do DIN Rail Meter, so you can have in CU.
Also spoke to Hager, they have DIN Rail meter coming shortly.
It's not that bigger a deal, saves on one external box. Two if you count mains supply switch, but I always install these anyway.
I think it makes the install a little neater.
I'm gonna stick with Hager, it'll be a few years before I do PV, they should have their meter ready by then.

I had 8 Fusebox AFDDs installed at the beginning of 2022. Four months later 6 of them had died. They appeared to generate too much heat when sat next to each other. The ones that didn't die were on the ends. I will stick to a higher quality make.

8 x AFDDs? Was this in a domestic installation?

Did the supplier replace them and ask for the others back for investigation?

Dual rcd boards are not recommended for residential installations in BS7671, you require rcbos.

Reply to New Consumer Unit - Fussy Customer - PV future proof in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net