Discuss New consumer unit - Necessary to replace existing grey tails ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm getting conflicting stories about this, I wonder if someone could put this to bed once and for all.

I'm replacing a consumer unit in the next few days, and it currently has the common grey tails going from the isolator to the existing consumer unit, one is ,marked "L" then other marked "N". Inside the consumer unit it has the old colours showing of Red for Line and Black for Neutral.

Some have told me that I have to replace these tails with newer brown and blue tails, others have told me it's fine to leave as is, and yet a third has said there isn't an explicit regulation in BS7671 that covers this, except they have to be clearly identifiable.

I'll be honest and up front, that in the past I've left them as is, if they have been clearly identified with tape, letters and so on, if not I've labelled them or put coloured tape on, and only replaced them if the consumer unit has moved position or they were damaged.

If anyone could help with this that would be great, and if there is a specific reg or EICR requirement. I don't recall there being one.

if there is a specific reg or EICR requirement. I don't recall there being one.
There is not. In fact the Best Practice Guide #4 on EICR explicitly states that "old colours" is not something that merits any code.

Yes, they should be identified correctly in some manner, and have to be suited to the new CU in terms of being long enough to fit without stress, etc.

Also you ought to use a proper gland for clamping (in no other clamp in the CU) but that is irrespective of the old/new argument!

If there was a Reg that required all Red and Black tails to be replaced then that same reg would mean that all Red and Black wiring would also need to be replaced.

Get whoever says that the tails need to be replaced to show you the reg that applies.

I've still got a bit of cable in various sizes in the old colours lying round some people might call it hoarding some might take as an indication of a developing medical condition😀
😀
nah, just a desire for the good old days when common sense overruled stupidity. brown/black/grey all grey in the dark. is it that the new colours are "gender neutral"? or some other fad created by the moronic society thay we are forced to live in these days?

I wish we could return to Red Black and Red Yellow Blue.
But then again not the way the domestic regime is, best leave the old colours in better days gone by.

If we went back to the old colours we would probably end up with a course and an exam so we would be qualified use them😧

Reply to New consumer unit - Necessary to replace existing grey tails ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net