Discuss New Extension, any pointers? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

budwozza

Hi All,

We have just agreed to have an attached double height side extension built.

The ground floor will be a large garage, and the first floor will a "Granny Flat".

Do you have any suggestions or ideas that you have learned or things I should look out for or consider?

Thanks.

I was going to say that! Have granny on the bottom floor and the garage on the top then we can talk about advice!
or save a shed load of money, build single storey with flat roof for helipad.

sod cinema room. 'er indoors will be watching sloppy films all day. what about the bar?

Methinks that we are not taking the thread as seriously as we should - it must be Saturday!

sod cinema room. 'er indoors will be watching sloppy films all day. what about the bar?

You don't get it Tel, her indoors can watch the telly, while the man of the house larges it up in his own bespoke cinema room, watching the Great Escape or Bambi. Could allow some space in the corner for a bar, or just have a bell you can ring for room service?

Back to the op.... What are your requirements, electrically in the garage and granny annex? You will need to determine this before anything else....

Back to the op.... What are your requirements, electrically in the garage and granny annex? You will need to determine this before anything else....

Garage will need ring main with plenty of sockets, and lighting.

Flat will have ring main, lighting, washing machine, oven, and hob.

Consumer unit will be fitted in the garage.

House consumer unit is about 14 meters away, (if cable is run through loft space).

Would you go with a 100 Amp switch at the supply and 10mm cable to the new Consumer unit?

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ I would recommend you discuss this with the spark who will be doing the work and signing it off so you can get a building compliance completion certificate from labc

Hi bubbwozza,
The only thing I would say beware of with adding granny flats is watch your loading.
Do you have an electric shower, electric oven, electric hob, electric heating?
Is the granny flat having all these high electric appliances also?

It is a fair assumption you are on one phase thus max 100 amps design allowable.
You can quickly use this 100 amps up. Speak to your electrician about this.

Other than that I'm sure a good electrician can disign you a good installation.

Peter

Edit sorry it's budwozza not bubbwozza

A cable size can't be plucked out of the air
There is need to add up your likely load, allow for some leeway,then size your cables and devices to suit
Discuss your expected loading with the spark, he can then give advice on what is available and what supply cable type and size to choose

Thanks all for the replies.

I like to research as much as possible, I will get a few sparks to quote me when we have a better idea and then see what you guys think.

^^ That may work BUT you need to tell us where in the UK you are, location and costs do vary!

Isn't the builder going to supply a spark?

Reply to New Extension, any pointers? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net