Discuss New meter installation question (please help!) in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Rae

Hi guys I need some help regarding connecting meters to 3 new flats above a shop. Basically the shop has a three phase supply (there used to be a three phase meter in the shop but it was downgraded to a single phase meter) and I was initially told by the electrician that did the rewiring in the flats that a feed could be taken from the two remaining phases of the main fuse located in the shop up through the ceiling of the shop into the landing where the meters for the flats would be located in a common hallway area.

I've had a problem getting the meter company to put the meters in as they initially told me that i would need a new supply from the road into the flats. But then central networks came out to confirm that the supply is ok but the meter company are insisting that the supply is connected into the cut out by central networks before they come and put the meters in. The issue is getting more complicated because central networks won't deal with it until I apply through their new connections dept by filling in a form for a new supply (even though they accept I don't actually need a new supply) which means more delay (several months apparently) and more cost. I have the flats ready for tenants.

What is the best way to deal with this? Any advice?

Another electrician told me today that he can do the whole job and fit normal kw meters for me. I originally assumed he meant private meters where the supply runs off the landlord's supply and then the landlord bills the tenants directly for however much electric they use. But he told me he means meters where the electricity company will bill the tenants direct and not tied in with the landlord's supply. I mean can you do that because i thought that only the meter operators can fit the meters?

I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on how to get around this problem because different electricians keep giving me different advice and i'm getting more confused by the minute!

Rae

As far as I'm aware you'd need the supply company to fit a meter that they can charge for.legally electricians aren't allowed to alter meter equipment at all.like your other electrician said the only other way is to get check meters fitted in the flats and the landlord charge.

Reply to New meter installation question (please help!) in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net