Discuss New Solax Panels and Inverter breaker tripping all time in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

AWAKEFIELD720

I recently got the system installed and was ok for a few weeks then came home to a fault, installers said due to thunder storms which i accepted as ok. Then week later same again with no storms. They have since put the breaker and rcd in a seperate box and said would be ok. Then same again tripping on breaker.
Engineer came out again and fitted a new breaker which was to cope with my panels performing well they said. Since then tripped 4 consecutive days. I am not electrically experienced and hence my reason im here to make sure i get someanswers. I have attached pictures of Inverted, wiring and the rcd box

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 1436892269090.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 1436892326205.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 1436892364499.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 47
There is obviously a fault in the system, get the installers back to repair the fault.
Don't just keep in closing the breaker everytime it trips, without knowing what the fault is it may well damage the breaker

There is obviously a fault in the system, get the installers back to repair the fault.
Don't just keep in closing the breaker everytime it trips, without knowing what the fault is it may well damage the breaker
They have beeh back 3 times, added the seperate box with the breaker in it and upped the rating of it to 20amp , see in the closeup pic with the small box its the breaker in middle with solar panel wrote on label above, thanks for reply

They have beeh back 3 times, added the seperate box with the breaker in it and upped the rating of it to 20amp , see in the closeup pic with the small box its the breaker in middle with solar panel wrote on label above, thanks for reply

Oh dear, I think they might be a bit short on actual understanding of what is happening.
I don't know enough about be PV to offer advice on what the fault may be, but I do know that MCBs don't trip for no reason. Something is causing an excess of current to flow, either a fault or I guess maybe a design flaw in their installation.
They need to come back and find the fault, I would suggest writing to them requesting that they attend to find and repair the fault or they pay for someone who knows what they are doing to carry this out. Possibly advise them that you will be contacting trading standards or their MCS registration body

Not "obviously" a fault as such, although I agree with the advice davesparks. A 30mA trip limit with TL inverter, possible insulation resistance issues on DC strings, local loads sharing RCD (maybe) and earthing arrangement (if any) of the array frame, can easily nuisance trip.....

Not "obviously" a fault as such, although I agree with the advice davesparks. A 30mA trip limit with TL inverter, possible insulation resistance issues on DC strings, local loads sharing RCD (maybe) and earthing arrangement (if any) of the array frame, can easily nuisance trip.....

Its the mcb that is tripping not the RCD.

edit: posted same time as SibertSolar

Last edited:

Nuisance tripping is still a fault.
The OP has stated that the MCB is operating, not the RCD, therefore there must be an overcurrent occurring

We hAve installed one of these with the same problem! Turns out it required a 20A MCB instead of the usual 16, no real reason why but it's in the manual for the installation.
It solved the problem

Thats whatvthey did last time put a 20A mcb in, made it even worse, was 16 originally. They are coming back friday to replace the entire Inverter:uhoh2:. Good advice ontelling them about contacting mcs though as they seem to be guessing as much as me

bit harsh to be contacting MCS / their body at this stage in proceedings.

tbh it could simply be that the inverter isn't restricted to 16A as it should be (unless you have permission to generate more than 16A).

Solar's different to almost every other load other than maybe storage heaters in that it can operate at full capacity for maybe 6-8 hours at a time at the peak of summer, so it ends up on parts of the tripping time curve for MCBs that are almost never reached, so MCB's ratings shouldn't be too close to the max rating of the inverter or they will risk tripping at the peak of summer.

tbh it could simply be that the inverter isn't restricted to 16A as it should be (unless you have permission to generate more than 16A).

Solar's different to almost every other load other than maybe storage heaters in that it can operate at full capacity for maybe 6-8 hours at a time at the peak of summer, so it ends up on parts of the tripping time curve for MCBs that are almost never reached, so MCB's ratings shouldn't be too close to the max rating of the inverter or they will risk tripping at the peak of summer.

Not harsh at all, they've had 3 opportunities to identify and rectify the fault and have so far made what appear to be random guesses. 1- blame it on thunderstorm 2- move the mcb out of the board and in to a seperate enclosure 3- uprate the mcb. This sounds like sheer incompetence to me, especially if the person responsible is an engineer as stated above.

Solar is not a load at all it is a source of energy.

It could well be classed as a load in terms of how it works, just in reverse. The MCB can't detect polarity.
Gavin's knowledge in all things solar will far exceed yours.
He's correct with everything he says. There's no other domestic load designed to run at full load like an inverter can/ will.
Also, it seems the 'engineer' has taken steps to correct the fault. Sometimes it can be as simple as a faulty inverter, we can assume he has tested the circuit. Usually very simple being s radial, so has eliminated any other components at the same time.

Last edited:

Im not going to yet, just in my back pocket if goes ---- up. Their customer service has been terrible though to much to explain. It has been generating loads they said highest they have seen on a 4kw system?. Shouldnt the 20A breaker has worked though ?what do you recomend

Reply to New Solax Panels and Inverter breaker tripping all time in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net