Currently reading:
New Supply!

Discuss New Supply! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

hoppy

-
Reaction score
Hi,

House I am working on s having a new sp & n supply installed. As a result the new incomer will be approx. 15 meters away, so I need to run a sub main.
Main fuse is 100A so was thinking of putting an 80 amp sub main with 25mm 3 core swa. But got me thinking Is this over kill ad would a 60A sub main with 16mm 3 core swa suffice.
Usual loads of shower 9kw, cooker, micro oven and elec hob, utility room. Normal lighting and socket layout.
Calcs for diversity over 60A, but experience says 60A should be ok.

Customer is running a tight budget as usual!

What do you guy think, 16mm 60A sub main or 25mm 80A?

Is there much difference between 16mm and 25mm SWA? £2.50 per meter maybe - so for a difference of about £40.00 I'd recommend the 25mm

If they can afford a big extension, then about £40.00 isn't even a drop in the ocean!

You got there first!! ...lol!!

Depending on the installation reference methord used, a 16mm SWA cable can be good for well over 100A!!

Could you expand a bit please E54? 97A is the highest CCC I can find for 2 core 16A SWA ref method E - in free air.

Plus the chap says he is using 3 core so ref method E shows 83A.

Last edited:
Could you expand a bit please E54? 97A is the highest CCC I can find for 2 core 16A SWA ref method E - in free air.

Table 4E4A (page 348)

Only line & neutral carry current so no need to include the earth core. So 1 two core cable single phase AC reference method E 115Amps CCC. Thats thermosetting at 90C though.

probably irrelevant anyway as the connected equipment wont be rated for 90c

Could be wrong however?

As Simon says ^
You were using table 4D4A .... this is for PVC/PVC/SWA
Table 4E4A is for XLPE/PVC/SWA ..... The vast majority of (decent sized) SWA cable nowadays is XLPE

As Simon says ^
You were using table 4D4A .... this is for PVC/PVC/SWA
Table 4E4A is for XLPE/PVC/SWA ..... The vast majority of (decent sized) SWA cable nowadays is XLPE

Think you'll find that PVC/SWA/PVC is mainly special order now in the UK. Though i expect some wholesalers will still keep it in stock until such times as it's not being purchased in sufficient quantities to keep it a viable stock item....

Oh, and i did state the 70C CCC rating i gave above. The table gives both. It'll be as rare as hens teeth to be working on an system that warrants and complies to a 90C installation etc....

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to New Supply! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back