Discuss New to the world of electrics in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I am in the same situation as Uksrevivor in that I swapped from nursing at 48 years and did a quick but thorough course but it contained little practical - I'm an electricians mate to a very qualified and it's coming up to 14 months and I've learnt so much and gained massive confidence in working alone, pricing and being a valued second person. I've not earnt much at all but the experience has been worth it all. Making way through NVQ3 which in itself is testing but Working full time enables completion of the different modules with plenty of evidence. Agree with everyone when they say this job is a majority of experience with a heavy sprinkling of head knowledge but never the other way around. Best wishes OP

Thank-you, again really helpful. Could I ask what you courses you run PRIOR to starting as a mate (no-one has been my mate for 50 years!), and what courses you have done / plan to do since. Also how easy was it to convince a sparky to take you on board was it a friend or did you response to an advert. Thanks again in advance

Thank-you, again really helpful. Could I ask what you courses you run PRIOR to starting as a mate (no-one has been my mate for 50 years!), and what courses you have done / plan to do since. Also how easy was it to convince a sparky to take you on board was it a friend or did you response to an advert. Thanks again in advance
LOL at no one being your m8 for 50 years lol
Me personally I drafted up a covering letter explaining what my objectives were and what my previous experiences were, I emphasized on the fact im self funding college and not looking for someone to fund my future courses. Also added my experience with power tools and competence in there safe use. It was a mature electrician who took me on and I did not know him prior to my employment. I sent over 40 emails just to give you an idea and he was the only one who had the confidence in me to employ me but said it was my covering letter and c.v that stood out and the fact im committed to learning the right way and not taking a so called fast track root.
My first qualification was P.A.T testing and I done this for a while until i got to a point where i wanted to shoot myself in the head as its so monotonous lol. but it was a start. Try contacting your local college for a list of the part time courses or evening classes they run in electrical certifications if your not sure post on here the course you are looking at and im sure someone will advise if its any good or not. Keep at it m8 you will get rejected more times than accepted but eventually someone will hopefully see potential in you and give you a start.

LOL at no one being your m8 for 50 years lol
Me personally I drafted up a covering letter explaining what my objectives were and what my previous experiences were, I emphasized on the fact im self funding college and not looking for someone to fund my future courses. Also added my experience with power tools and competence in there safe use. It was a mature electrician who took me on and I did not know him prior to my employment. I sent over 40 emails just to give you an idea and he was the only one who had the confidence in me to employ me but said it was my covering letter and c.v that stood out and the fact im committed to learning the right way and not taking a so called fast track root.
My first qualification was P.A.T testing and I done this for a while until i got to a point where i wanted to shoot myself in the head as its so monotonous lol. but it was a start. Try contacting your local college for a list of the part time courses or evening classes they run in electrical certifications if your not sure post on here the course you are looking at and im sure someone will advise if its any good or not. Keep at it m8 you will get rejected more times than accepted but eventually someone will hopefully see potential in you and give you a start.

All sounds good, would happily do 400 emails to get a mate! - Seriously though, thats given me some good ideas, think I will plod on with a couple of courses first then as you say start getting my name out there - thanks for your time with all that

It's all about getting in the theory as well. There is a lot to it and as you become more conversant with the language and the theoretical side of faults and fault protection becoming sense then you can apply it to your experiences.
I put an A4 poster up in local wholesalers with stuck on business cards and I only got one reply but that's all it it takes. Keep on keeping on. You need experience to advance. We've all got books in our khazis - mine is Trevor Linsey at the moment and an 'electric centre' catalogue for the pretty pictures.

I cant imagine doing the 17th would help much yet, as people with years of electrical knowledge and experience sometimes have trouble making sense out of it. It would most likely seem like a complete different language to someone without any base in the electrical sector.

Get a tech cert under your belt so you understand electrical terms and underpinning knowledge.

You can be shown how to do something then go and do it yourself very well, but there is not much point if you only know how to do something and not why you are doing it.

I wish you the best of luck mate.

Reply to New to the world of electrics in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net