Discuss new wiring of Y plan in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Does anyone have any tips on wiring a boiler with mid position valve.

I've been rewiring a house and have had the job of wiring the boiler dropped on me by the plumber.

I have a..

Worcester boiler
Center mid position valve
Honeywell RF Chronotherm 'wireless' programmable thermostat
Pump
Center Tank Stat

What wiring diagram do i follow?
Are those Honeywell wiring centres with pcb useable on this?

thanks

If you want to cheat you could use one of the Honeywell boxes .
If you really want to understand what is going on (may hold you in good stead for the next one) get a plain vanilla wiring centre box from Screwfix, download the Y plan diagram and wire it up.
This is the BEST place for that
Wiring Guide Issue 16 - Honeywell
They even show you how to use a wireless stat!

It really is not that difficult

What time control do you have for the hot water? If using a programmable room thermostat you will need a 1 channel programmer for the hot water. I would swap the programmable room thermostat for a non programmable one such as the DT92E or Y6630D

Honeywell DT92E Wireless Digital Room Thermostat | Digital Room Thermostats - https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/honeywell-dt92e-wireless-digital-room-thermostat/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing Shopping - All Products - No Negs&utm_term=1100608002355

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/honeywell-y6630d-wireless-room-thermostat/84067

With the non programmable thermostat I would then fit a 2 channel programmer that has the time control for both the heating and hot water

Honeywell ST9400C 7 Day Two Channel Programmer | Programmers & Time Switches - https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/honeywell-st9400c-7-day-two-channel-programmer/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing Shopping - All Products - No Negs&utm_term=1100608002355
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Drayton-25476-LP722-2-Channel-Programmer/dp/B005TPVUMI

I wouldn't use the Honeywell wire by numbers wiring centre as its another component in the system that's not necessary and another point of failure.....In my time I've come across a few of these wiring centres that have caused problems (dry solder joints etc)

I would use a Honeywell junction box as they have cord grips/strain relief, get rid of the strip of connector block and use leaver connectors like wago 221's.

Honeywell 10-Way Junction Box 42002116 002 | Heating Control Accessories - https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/honeywell-10-way-junction-box-42002116-002/?
utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing Shopping - All Products - No Negs&utm_term=1100608002355

You just need to use a Y-plan drawing with pump over run as its a Worcester boiler. The only connections that might not be shown on drawing is the permanent live needed to power the receiver of the wireless thermostat.

A good idea,would be to investigate exactly what components you have,if it has been dropped on you.
For example,to be certain you have a 4043 3 port,and not a 4044.
This can save the issue of an alleged plumber,ringing to ask if "another wire can be added..." (This was a short conversation...)

Once all the bits are identified,a simple drawing can be done,which should make any on-site wiring more straight forward.

In the end,in terms of a wiring centre,simple is better.
The pre-wired boarded items,look easier,but can be of dubious quality.

Basically,any way of up to a dozen conductors,arriving in multiples of 2 to 6 cores,both solid and stranded,being correctly and simply joined,is a winner.

Reply to new wiring of Y plan in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net