• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss NICEIC launches bursary to encourage female electricians into the industry in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello All,

I saw Today in the `Installer` online Magazine [used to be CORGI`s Gas Installer Magazine] that the NICEIC are going to offer a Bursary to encourage Women to become Electricians - here is a link to that article:

NICEIC launches bursary to encourage female electricians into the industry - Installer Online - http://www.installeronline.co.uk/33963-2/

They have been disappointed that their 2011 initiative `Jobs for the Girls` has not produced the number of Women wanting to become Electricians that they envisaged.

Is it just Me or does the title `Jobs for the Girls` seem a bit patronising to the Women that they were hoping to attract ?

I think that I read in the article that Women only make up 2% of registered Electricians in the UK.

The article suggests that `The sexist attitudes and misogyny of a bygone era are thankfully on the wane` and that more Employers are prepared to give Women a chance in the Industry.

Chris

Thats brilliant just what I was looking for. Trying to encourage this lady electrician to finish her training but the money thing is stopping her. She is good and will be a great assett to the industry but money is the problem.

Thats brilliant just what I was looking for. Trying to encourage this lady electrician to finish her training but the money thing is stopping her. She is good and will be a great assett to the industry but money is the problem.

Hello Vortigern,

Good to read that You know someone who might be able to take advantage of this Bursary from the NICEIC.

However I think that it is limited to £500.00 which would obviously help with the cost of some Testing equipment or Tools but probably would not pay for very much Training ?

It would be nice to know that something that I highlighted on here did help at least one Woman to get qualified or equipped as an Electrician.

Regards,

Chris

i have to pay for my own FICA as there is no funding, no funding for anyone without a vag

I thought discrimination was not allowed on the grounds of gender, age, race, religion etc etc.

Just imagine if an organisation set up a scheme such as the one linked to above with the only beneficiaries being say white people.

There'd be a massive outcry and rightly so. This double standards we keep seeing recently has to stop. In my opinion it will put back real equality by years as people rail against it when the term equality is absused by the feminazis etc

It would be nice to know that something that I highlighted
Well even £500 would be a good leg up on a £3000 course. I have sent the link to her. Let's hope she is successful! She does work/training with me and I really think she is great as a potential electrician. My only regret is that not one of my six daughters was in the least bit interested in working with me, shame. As to women getting something not open to men, no one complained when men/boys signed up to free apprenticeships. Swings and roundabouts come to mind. Don't envy a person because they get something you can't have. Saying that there are no doubt bursaries for all types of particular individuals, as we well know.

My only regret is that not one of my six daughters was in the least bit interested in working with me, shame.

This has to be a joke... Who in their right mind has 6 kids... especially daughters...
I virtually ran to the snip clinic after our second kid...

This has to be a joke... Who in their right mind has 6 kids... especially daughters...
so poor vorti manages to see the shower only on a sunday, when the 6 daughters are sleeping off saturday night's clubbing.:D:D:D

so poor vorti manages to see the shower only on a sunday, when the 6 daughters are sleeping off saturday night's clubbing.:D:D:D

Looking on the bright side.... he does have 6 volunteers to plait his hair for him... :tearsofjoy:

This has to be a joke
Frankly I would be hard put to think "joke" but I do have one Son as well. So I have done my bit for Britain. As to snipping bits, when hell freezes over!
see the shower only on a sunday
Fortunately we have two loos so, not so bad. Our household is old school where the man is head of the house. So that helps in the pecking order, and I am very easy with my position of head of the household.

As to snipping bits, when hell freezes over!

There is nothing to it mate.. You just have to wear undies for two weeks, to keep the danglies from moving too much. The hardest part is giving the two samples. They give you a small container you got to get your 'sample' in.. The people at the clinic are funny. The nurse who called people from the waiting room call peoples names out and then add "...Come on down..." to the end.

Raises a good point. You could argue it's not socially acceptable, if we all had 6 kids we would soon be in big trouble? Mind you someone has to ensure we don't get outbred........

Raises a good point. You could argue it's not socially acceptable, if we all had 6 kids we would soon be in big trouble? Mind you someone has to ensure we don't get outbred........

My post was nothing to do with 'socially acceptable'..... purely about having 6 daughters that are driving you crazy...

Reply to NICEIC launches bursary to encourage female electricians into the industry in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back