Discuss Nicked wires from screws in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

if the cables were installed since c.1975, they should be min. 2" below top of joist, so unless you've used 3" or longer screws , fat chance of hitting a cable. best solution is to lift board/s and have a look see.
Thanks for the tip, I've lifted the boards and unfortunately it seems that I've hit some cables which were right under the floorboard and all bundled together.... The screws were 60mm so about 2.36 inch. Is that a regulation in the UK to have them at least 2" below the joist?

How much would this cost to fix any idea? I've just notified the landlord who will get an electrician to check it and I'm hoping it's not going to cost me an arm and a leg šŸ™

It's impossible to estimate how much without seeing it, depending on where its hit it may either be rewired (best option) or as a last resort a joint could be made. How many did you hit?

The screws were 60mm so about 2.36 inch. Is that a regulation in the UK to have them at least 2" below the joist?
There's no reg. as such. The 50mm refers to how far a cable has to be away from the surface a cable has to be for it to be acceptable for it not to be protected by an RCD.
The holes for cables should be drilled in the 'neutral axis' of a joist, which in practice, means the middle, but this is a structural building regulation, not an electrical one. If the house has been rewired, an electrician is going to use existing holes if they are anywhere near the right place and size. It would be bad practice, from a structural point of view, to drill a new hole in the neutral axis if it comes close to overlapping an existing one in the horizontal plane, nearby.

Reply to Nicked wires from screws in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net