Discuss No earth at lights, customer won't change? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys wondering if you could help?

I have just installed a new fuseboard with rcbos and spd.

During the install I noticed that the lighting circuits have no earth. I have informed the customer but she doesn't want me to change lights to class 2 fittings as she is happy with her current lighting fixtures. What do I do?

Thanks in advanced

Agree it should have been noticed before changing… but too late now.

Has it been noted on the certificate?
Has it been noted at the consumer unit for any future electrician?

Arguably, you’ve left it in safer condition than it was, but the new fancy rcbo’s won’t work under certain faults..

Agree it should have been noticed before changing… but too late now.

Has it been noted on the certificate?
Has it been noted at the consumer unit for any future electrician?

Arguably, you’ve left it in safer condition than it was, but the new fancy rcbo’s won’t work under certain faults..
It can't be certified though as it is non-compliant, and indeed potentially hazardous.

There is some guidance in BPG1 for this sort of situation:

If I was in your shoes , and she absolutely refuses to have them changed, then I would make sure there are no immediately dangerous faults, ie good IR between the exposed metal parts of the lights/switches, and the live conductors of the installation. Then make appropriate notes on the cert, and cover it with a letter/email explaining the potential for danger with their lights, and advising her to get them rectified ASAP.

Not ideal, but too late to go back now.

You've installed the CU?
I would have thought the lack of circuit earths would be one of the first things to be noticed whilst in the process of removal of the old unit. Why not notify the owner at that point rather than complete the change over?

As it is, rubber gloves would be useful for her whilst lamp changing. 🤨 ☹️

I would be emailing the lady explaining it is being left in a potentially dangerous condition and needs rectifying asap. She won't do it, but at least you have some proof that you tried.

I have been caught out like this before, but luckily the owner was more receptive to my suggestions.

I used to have a checklist I would go through during a pre works visit for a CU change. This included checking if the lights are earthed. I find I have become a little more relaxed in my attitude towards CU changes, which is not a good thing!

Reply to No earth at lights, customer won't change? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net