• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss No longer registered but need to issue a certificate for a rewire / new install? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ZEDEZ

-
Reaction score
So last year I doing a rewire / new install for a customer. They'd moved into a property they were renovating while living in, and I was rewiring it over the course of many months here and there, slowly removing old install and installing the new bits side by side, to be connected to the supply once the new install was complete (won't be doing this again). It went on longer than expected and by the time I'd finished my registration had expired - my plan at this point was to notify the job after I'd re-registered.

My financial / employment / personal circumstances have changed now though and I'm not able to re-register any time soon, so obviously can't issue a cert.

I'm trying to figure out what my options are - I don't want to leave the customer hanging now the work is complete. What are my / the customers options?

It's worth mentioning it's been tested by myself (I have a hand written EIC here) and been commissioned. Also worth mentioning that I'm willing to take full responsibility and pay any third party costs if need be to get the customer where they need to be.

Why are you so concerned ?
The only impact on anyone is solicitors doing searches for house sales, mostly when there is no certificate available,so issue it

Non notified work! if that were to become a issue, there is always the eicr route
That's a piece of paper that seems to placate most in positions of buck passing administrative garbage

Notifications are often seen as a widely abused,little enforced section of a building reg that seems to be universally ignored in many circumstances

I know its frowned on by many but have a look at the register of local sparks and get one of them to do the notification if you must
Many peoples objections and reasons for not doing so may diminish greatly when you wave a few pound notes in their face

Why are you so concerned ?
The only impact on anyone is solicitors doing searches for house sales, mostly when there is no certificate available,so issue it

Non notified work! if that were to become a issue, there is always the eicr route
That's a piece of paper that seems to placate most in positions of buck passing administrative garbage

Notifications are often seen as a widely abused,little enforced section of a building reg that seems to be universally ignored in many circumstances

I know its frowned on by many but have a look at the register of local sparks and get one of them to do the notification if you must
Many peoples objections and reasons for not doing so may diminish greatly when you wave a few pound notes in their face

Appreciate all the suggestions. I'll ring around a few local guys that could notify and see what they're saying and maybe speak to B.C, will also issue the cert directly to the customer for the time being.

thanks!

Technically the homeowner has to notify, give them the cert and it's up to them.

Appreciate all the suggestions. I'll ring around a few local guys that could notify and see what they're saying and maybe speak to B.C, will also issue the cert directly to the customer for the time being.
I could do it ,on one condition ,2 bit coins ,a couple of nights stay at the Ritz hotel,I'm you man.

couple options, if you notify it to building control direct they may accept it or charge a fee for another electrician to come test it. alternatively they may accept your paperwork/eic and then ask you to provide a eicr on top. given you were registered i think you are on slightly better ground if im being honest than diy dave phoning up direct.
You could get one of the stroma 3rd party sparks to come out and do it, but they normally want to see design calcs and install methods etc.. @Vortigern is your man for those questions as he is stroma and think does the 3rd party stuff and coudl explain it better.
You could join stroma and pay your £280 if you can afford it and get the paperwork together? especially if its cheaper than the building control route

@Gavin John Hyde yes indeed I am covered for third party with Stroma. Unfortunately they do require being in at the design stage with calc for the ccts' in question. Also examining and testing while installing before cert is issued. They are rather strict about it I must say. However I do not really think it is for a time served spark who can test and commission himself I would not like to insult our OP.
Just to be clear. You can issue your cert with or without CPS membership. The rub is before starting work you are required by building regs law to notify local BC at least forty eight hours prior to commencing work. Failing that you would get a regularisation certificate to remain Kosher. However any purchaser can and will question that and require further evidence. Therefore you would be best to do an EICR on your work for which again you do not need CPS membership. If the report is satisfactory, job done for selling and regularising with B.C. usually!

if you do notify building control outside the normal time frames they often charge a fee on top around here it is normal fee plus 10%. I did discover from a property developer though that you do not have to use your local council for some of these things you can use the one next door! he uses whiltshire for a lot of his developments as they are cheaper than banes... they are all basically surveyors ticking boxes according to the regs afterall. planning is different though.

couple options, if you notify it to building control direct they may accept it or charge a fee for another electrician to come test it. alternatively they may accept your paperwork/eic and then ask you to provide a eicr on top. given you were registered i think you are on slightly better ground if im being honest than diy dave phoning up direct.
You could get one of the stroma 3rd party sparks to come out and do it, but they normally want to see design calcs and install methods etc.. @Vortigern is your man for those questions as he is stroma and think does the 3rd party stuff and coudl explain it better.
You could join stroma and pay your £280 if you can afford it and get the paperwork together? especially if its cheaper than the building control route
We don't have Part P Notification here...I'm lost as to why, if they accept the EIC, they would ask for an EICR as well?

Reply to No longer registered but need to issue a certificate for a rewire / new install? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back