Search the forum,

Discuss No Paperwork For New Consumer Unit Installation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

From memory it was a Schneider 9 that looked like this....
Schneider Electric Easy 9 Consumer Unit EZ9S2R5R5DRE with 8 MCBs | RS Electrical Supplies

I will visit as soon as I can & get more details on the installation.

Man & wife business as far as I can ascertain; I don't wish to name them until it is conclusive that they have committed an offence. Business (probably their home) address 6.6 miles from job site.

I wish I was there when quoted! Last year when I was on holiday they signed up for way overpriced solar panels which I just managed to get them out of within the cooling off period (with help from this forum). This year I was too late! I thought they had learned from what happened last year but clearly not. I think I need to get onto some retirement forums too to help understand why this happens. I think they are just of the trusting generation and too easily conned.

Richard, your mention of "consumer contracts regulations 2013" is completely new to me & I will look into it. Thank you.

I accept that there are many other costs to running a business but they don't all need to be charged to one customer!
fair point but i would say apart from the socket & light fitting, with paperwork it's not far off being right cost. as for the solar if they placed the order & was delivered to site & they did not wait 14 days until fitted without a letter of consent then it can be removed as they are in breach.

Last edited:
Do remember that in the last resort if there was a verbal quote and no paper providing information about your right to cancel then you can cancel the contract within 12 months at no cost to you.
If the cancellation information is provided then you have 14 days to cancel.
Cancellation of the contract means that it is as if no service had been provided and all payments made must be returned in full.
(consumer contracts regulations 2013)

I will have to look into this. It sounds like you could make someone's life hard. So if you give someone a verbal quote then you do the work for them, 7 months down the line they can cancel the contract and you have to give them the money back?

The act relates to the distance selling of services and products, i.e. items not purchased in a shop or store, or off premises. It allows for the cancelling of a contract within 14 days of placing an order or returning the product or service. With a service you would be only refunded that of which you had not used (e.g. gym membership) (cited; Which Consumer Contracts explained). Not sure where the 12 months comes in, but I may be wrong.

If you provide details of the cancellation rights in writing and the customer accepts the quote and then works starts 14 days later then they cannot cancel the contract
Similarly if you provide the cancellation rights information and the customer asks you to start work tomorrow then they must also accept that they can cancel within the next 14 days but they will be responsible for the costs incurred up to the point of cancellation.

If you do not provide the cancellation rights information on a durable medium then the cancellation rights extend to 12 months.

Hi Midwest

way it was explained to me was that panels were required to be on-site for 14 days before being fitted, should they be fitted before that point then the client can ask for them to be removed, should you inform the customer & ask them to write a letter to say that they wanted the panels fitted before that time then you are in the clear.
mind you did come from the scam muggers, if procedure is not followed then apparently you leave yourself open to these sort of actions. not sure if it would ever come to it as when these things come to light nothing ever happens when you read what goes on in this forum

The regulations (CRR 013) apply to product and services. Products are fairly easy to understand with regards 14 days grace, services are more complicated. In this case, the installer has provided both. In the case of services, i.e. installing the CU, the CCR state that once the service has been completed, 14 days grace does not apply (as far as I can see). But if the customer hasn't been informed of their rights under CRR, they have 12mths & 14 days. Time to update T&C's!

Hoping pictures will be attached for those that requested them. The old metal box CU was in the cupboard pictured & the new CU is just through the wall where wires can be seen heading at top right of picture.
No certificate received yet (Saturday). I will be making contact with installer middle of next week if it doesn't arrive.
Thanks for viewing.

Attachments

• IMG_5414.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_5422.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 131
Trimglafix

it's an easy 9 board insulated as you probably know already, there is however missing quite a few information points required as labels, periodic inspection label, main switch label kit probably came with it, mixed colors as the joints in other picture are probably brown & blue, the list goes on previous picture if you wanted to get into it no junction boxes securely fixed to join cables properly instead of crimps & tape but minor. not sure from picture could be 16mm tails but can't see service head but as you have henley block in place & would be simple then 25mm tails.
also with January approaching fast I would have offered a metal clad consumer unit but not in force until January, we are already fitting them as standard & have been for a few months.
not sure you are going to get paperwork but good luck

Last edited:
I don't quite understand these pics. Is the first one, appears to have a plastic CU, in the top left and what appears to be jointed cables (wrapped in blue tape) on the right. The second picture is of the new CU?

the first board with all the cables is probably the consumer unit for the solar PV the second picture is the new domestic unit fitted through the wall because of the space required for it as the old unit was on the wall in the same cupboard i would imagine.

maybe they never removed there consumer unit might just have removed the panels & inverter & left the rest who knows but the other board is the domestic. can't see it being for storage heaters as it looks as if it is fed from the henley block installed.

Hoping pictures will be attached for those that requested them. The old metal box CU was in the cupboard pictured & the new CU is just through the wall where wires can be seen heading at top right of picture.
No certificate received yet (Saturday). I will be making contact with installer middle of next week if it doesn't arrive.
Thanks for viewing.

I'm so confused about this thread! what is all that blue tape? Surely not concealing joins in cables? Can you post a better picture of the meter cupboard?

Also did the installer give an invoice/receipt for this mess?

Apologies for confusion.
I have attached another picture which gives a slightly pulled back view.
As Leesparkykent stated there is no Solar PV installed - it was cancelled under cooling off period. The box with drop down cover in first picture is squarish & I assume is for stair lift; though she did have a bathroom professionally installed so could relate to something in there too (but less likely).
All pictures are of current set-up. I have no before pictures & I didn't know job was to be done.
The first picture is of the cupboard where all electrics including old CU was installed. Second picture is of cupboard just other side of wall where only the new CU is located. They are all of the set-up as it exists now. The cables with the blue tape on are what he has used to make make the cables reach the new CU. They just go through the wall into the new CU.
I don't know what is behind blue tape as I didn't think it wise to remove any, but have attached a close up picture.
I guess £600 a bit steep for this 'quality' of work then?

Attachments

• IMG_5416.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_5419.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 99
Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to No Paperwork For New Consumer Unit Installation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock