Discuss No part p selling house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Lisa-2

Hi I'm selling my house , had a rewire done three years ago and I have no certificate or part p . It is worrying and stressing me because building control have requested it , please advise on what I need to do to solve the problem , many thanks

Hi Welcome to the forum :)

May I ask why building control are involved in you selling your house?

There is no legal requirement to provide any electrical certification when selling a property, it may be beneficial in the sale to have such documents but its also the responsibility of a buyer to check the condition of the electrics and if neccessary to negotiate on the price if its found to be in poor condition. Having said that, if you had it rewired only 3 yrs ago then the company that rewired it should have issued a completion certificate, if you have lost it then ask them for a copy, if they didn't issue one then ask them for one or you will notify building control that they failed to issue a certificate.

Last edited:
Reading between the lines was building work done at the same time as the rewire? I'm thinking that you don't have a completion certificate from building control.

Hi it came up in the search that I hadn't had other work signed off, so they came and they have asked for the certificate but I've never had one thanks

If the seller stated in the sales description that the house had been rewired, the buyers solicitor will of picked up on this and will be asking for the cert and part P notification.... A friend of mine has just bought a house and exact same thing happened... The seller had to have a EICR done and also had to pay the council also for their involvement ? ( register the job I think.)

So, as I doubt you can get hold of the spark involved, speak with council and they will advise.

Hi,what has the purchaser or their solicitor actually requested? Dependent on the extent and type of work you had done,there may be other ways around the issue.

There will be a big difference between the resolving of a minor building control issue,over a porch,or a whole loft conversion,that pops up over a summer.

If you explain the size of the works,building control are interested in,we may be able to throw a few more leads...

Get an EICR done if you are unable to get original certificates. Prospective buyers may be interested on what up with electrics on the property, so they asking for paperwork.

Speak to your Building Control, and ask THEM what you need to do to get your completion certificate. There is a process called a 'Regularisation Certificate', my BC has this process for unauthorised electrical work. Not sure exactly what the process is, but will probably be (as already mentioned) an EICR.

Here's a link to one such London BC about such a certificate; How to make a Regularisation application - London Borough of Richmond upon Thames

Your solicitor can organise indemnity insurance for you if you can't produce the certificates. Not sure why building control would be asking for certs for a re-wire though

Last edited:
Indemnity will only cover you against action by BC requiring you to rectify unapproved works, not sure your get insurance cover where the BC already knows?
Strange OP hasn't come back?

Reply to No part p selling house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net