Discuss No power through ceiling rose in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm replacing a 3-bulb spotlight with a standard BG ceiling rose but upon connecting, the light won't turn on; the problem is, I can't see why.
We can handle the wiring shortly, but after a day or two of testing - wiring the spot back on, test (it works), replacing with the ceiling rose (it doesn't work), I finally gave up and wired the spotlight to a plug and tested - dropping the 13A down to a 3A first.
The spotlight predictably worked as expected, but upon switching over to the ceiling rose, using the same bulb as the spotlight - it's a 7w bulb, I'm not getting anything, although I am registring power both on the cable terminals and, the light terminals, just no light. It's as though the light terminals are performing a huge resistence that the power could not overcome it and light the lamp.

I have already gone through the motions of junction boxes and switches trying to troubleshoot, which came-up blank - even to wiring the rose direct to the light cicuit and the junction box in the attic [we're still on junction boxes for the lighting circuits rather than using the rose loop] to bypass the switch [using the RCD as a switch], and predictably, I got nothing, hence the direct to wall-outlet approach as a last resort.

Any ideas?

You say when connected to the new ceiling rose it doesn't work so can we see the wiring at the rose.

The photos of the connections as requested.
  • Pic 1 is the spotlight wired to the plug - it is working, no disputing that
  • Pic 2 showing the 3 terminals of the spotlight connected to the plug - the spotlight is metal so the earth is required
  • Pic 3 is with the Earth released - just so we know that there is no issues with the earth as the problem lampholder is plastic, it can't be seen in shot, but the spotlight is still illuminated
  • Pic 4 is the problem lampholder wiring at the lampholder
  • Pic 5 the lampholder to power cable circuitry - as mentioned above, no earth
  • Pic 6 - no light - it isn't showing but the plug is powered on - I had intended to include my circuit tester in the shot but my camera was being awkward so I just didn't have enough hands - hence my circuit tester in shot in pic 4
  • Pic 7, a close-up of the lampholder wiring, just so you can see that we're connected to the correct terminals. It can't be seen from this shot but the light is off (those reflected in the work surface are the kitchen lights), but the power is on.

Attachments

• DSC_0161.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_0162.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC_0163.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC_0164.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC_0165.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC_0166.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC_0167.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 45
What about a pic of the wiring at the the ceiling where the luminaire was originally. Or have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick?

What about a pic of the wiring at the the ceiling where the luminaire was originally. Or have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick?
Slightly wrong end of the stick at present as after spending the last couple of days troubleshooting, I've determined the problem to be with the lampholder and not the wires at the ceiling.

If the light works when plugged into the wall, nut not the ceiling, then we know its something else, but currently, as its not working from the wall outlet either, when the original 3-lamp spotlight is, tells me the problem is with the lampholder.

The connections really need tidied up. im not sure if some of those flexes are held in the screws properly, and so much copper showing, they could touch together
I don't care for the connections right now, you are seeing a test cable connected to a wall-plug rather than off the ceiling, as right now, I'm troubleshooting the lamp-holder.
Once I go back to the ceiling, they'll be covered in heat-shrink

So just to clarify the new lampholder does not function at the rose nor the wall outlet but you know the spotlight is good because you have proved this at the old spotlight track.

Reply to No power through ceiling rose in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net