Discuss Non-earthed cable needing extending to be connected in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening, following a EICR in January i noted that the lighting circuits had no CPC, now the issue is there was a fire in the distribution board area that totally destroyed not only the old dis board but also all the feed cable
now the insurance company is hoping that the cables can be cut back and joined in a surface box located within the local cloak room
can i run a new lighting feed and connect it to a non earthed cable? obviously all fixtures and fittings are PVC

what do you think?

I think you should send them a quote for doing it correctly.
insurance companies although they dont want to spend more than the going rate, will not want to deal with the liability of it not being done correctly.

New board, every circuit you connect to it should be suitable for energising and not be a future risk of danger.

include a rewire of the lighting circuit/s as part of your quote. stress that the installation would not otherwise comply.

Evening, following a EICR in January i noted that the lighting circuits had no CPC, now the issue is there was a fire in the distribution board area that totally destroyed not only the old dis board but also all the feed cable
now the insurance company is hoping that the cables can be cut back and joined in a surface box located within the local cloak room
can i run a new lighting feed and connect it to a non earthed cable? obviously all fixtures and fittings are PVC

what do you think?
The ESF Best Practice guide 1 has a whole section on replacing a consumer unit where there is no cpc. I'd guess the same would apply if running a new replacement cable to a certain point.

In theory if all fittings are plastic then it's acceptable, though rewiring is recommended.

Would be better to do the lot of course, but the insurance company will no doubt prefer not to pay for that.

Reply to Non-earthed cable needing extending to be connected in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net