Search the forum,

Discuss Non-selective RCD with SPD downstream in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sorry downloaded the wrong wiring diagram will look for the correct one approved by Endis, but would add we always unplugged the phone when a storm was brewing or we left for extended periods.

As far as fibre goes, its actually fairly good in France.. though at this property I believe it's fibre-to-the-telegraph pole. Where this fibre-copper transition is say, < 50metres to the property, do you think that would reduce the risk sufficiently to not need phone-line SPD?
The issue is how is that powered? If it is fibre to the pole but also overhead power to same pole to do the fibre-copper media conversion you don't quite escape the induced surge issue.

But it might be far less if earthed locally.

Again, some local experiance/history might tell you how often modems get blasted and if it is on your cost to replace, etc.

For anyone interested, I tested the supply side RCBO today and got a 1x I time of <130ms, so I don't believe it is a Type S. I did however have some downstream higher sensitivity 30mA RCDs which did trip during testing the existing circuits, and the supplier RCBO was fine, so who knows.

pc1966 - I did as you suggested and mounted the SPD immediately after the RCBO and right next to the earth rod, in parallel with the CU which is 10m away, it seems to have worked nicely!

Finally, we had the fibre installed right into the property (FTTH) !

Thanks all for the help.

Reply to Non-selective RCD with SPD downstream in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net