Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Not logical? (light bulb help) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Pedro Lanhoso

Pedro Lanhoso New EF Member

Hey guys, I'm new at this website, I am a computer engineering student and I do my own electrical at home.
    This is funny though: I am having trouble changing a light bulb. (...) Yes, you read it right. I can't understand why (and that's the reason I am posting) but a regular 8W lamp (phillips in the picture) works in my lamp socket, but when i try any of the other two (lexman and osram) the light goes out in my entire house and I have to reset it at the board.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any help would be kindly appreciated!

2. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Presumably the light you are taking out to change is defunct. Therefore there will be no circuit until you put the new lamp in which will create a circuit. Therefore there must be damage to the cable feeding the particular socket which is causing a short only when a working lamp is put in????

• Creative Creative x 1
  3. static zap

static zap Regular EF Member

The answer is probably about 30mA..
    Leaking to earth due to wiring
    disaster/accident about to happen .
    Any more WATTs / different start-up surge trips RCD ?
    -- Need someone who is experienced in working on the ceiling with the blood draining from their arms--
    A Skilled Electrician!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pedro Lanhoso

Pedro Lanhoso New EF Member

Ok so.. Today i found out that my ceiling lamp has been wrongly wired for about 6/8 years. Thankfully nothing was ruined (funny af) The answer was that the socket had one of the leads and the ground wire wired to it. Don't know why, but it worked until a few months ago. Now, correctly wired, any lamp works as per usual.

TL:DR: Thanks for the replies guys, at the end the building maintenance guy took a glance at it and found out the issue.

• Like Like x 3
  5. MDJ

MDJ The Muppet Police Trusted Advisor

Mods please move this to the muppet forum (DIY ) the pain is unbearable.

6. pirate

pirate Regular EF Member

I am DIY...
    but not a muppet...
    maybe not quite as diy as some, but hey...lets cut some slack, ok?

• Like Like x 1