Discuss Not logical? (light bulb help) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new at this website, I am a computer engineering student and I do my own electrical at home.
This is funny though: I am having trouble changing a light bulb. (...) Yes, you read it right. I can't understand why (and that's the reason I am posting) but a regular 8W lamp (phillips in the picture) works in my lamp socket, but when i try any of the other two (lexman and osram) the light goes out in my entire house and I have to reset it at the board.

kgn6r0

kgn73i

kgn77p

Any help would be kindly appreciated!

Presumably the light you are taking out to change is defunct. Therefore there will be no circuit until you put the new lamp in which will create a circuit. Therefore there must be damage to the cable feeding the particular socket which is causing a short only when a working lamp is put in????

The answer is probably about 30mA..
Leaking to earth due to wiring
disaster/accident about to happen .
Any more WATTs / different start-up surge trips RCD ?
-- Need someone who is experienced in working on the ceiling with the blood draining from their arms--
A Skilled Electrician!

Ok so.. Today i found out that my ceiling lamp has been wrongly wired for about 6/8 years. Thankfully nothing was ruined (funny af) The answer was that the socket had one of the leads and the ground wire wired to it. Don't know why, but it worked until a few months ago. Now, correctly wired, any lamp works as per usual.

TL:DR: Thanks for the replies guys, at the end the building maintenance guy took a glance at it and found out the issue.

Mods please move this to the muppet forum (DIY ) the pain is unbearable.

Reply to Not logical? (light bulb help) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net