Discuss Not sure if this is installation work in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I work for a company that installs winching systems.
We install a motor & an enclosure that contains an inverter.
The enclosure is mostly prewired.
On site we connect from terminals on din rail in the enclosure to our motor & also to a few switches etc.
We test with a temporary supply but we do not install a permanent supply to the inverter box. Supply normally comes from a 13a FCU.
We don't connect a permanent supply as that is left to others therefore we are not carrying out installation work?
The cable we use from inverter to motor is usually 0.75mm 7 core & more often that not just cabled tied to something or clipped with p clips.
Nearly everywhere we carry out this work, everyone elses cables are in trays or conduit. Its only ours that have cables just 'hanging about'.
Looks pretty poor when compared to everything else & just wondered if this is installation work or whoever connects a permanent supply to our box is doing the installation.
I don't know enough about the regs but it doesn't sit particularly well with me. Im fairly sure whoever connects from FCU to our inverter box wouldn't be signing anything to cover the whole installation.
Any advice would be gratefully received

Looks pretty poor when compared to everything else & just wondered if this is installation work or whoever connects a permanent supply to our box is doing the installation.
Any work , temporary or permanent must comply with the latest regulations. By the sounds of things you know what you are installing probably does not comply

Hi - I think you are doing installation work. The installation of the motor to invertor cable needs to be done in accord with the Reg 521.10.202, for example (metal cable clips etc).

Reply to Not sure if this is installation work in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net