Discuss Nothing changes !! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mayfair

Well after a break of nearly 4 months from the forum last week i decided to join in again. Conclusion is not great im afraid as i still see most posts ending in Electrical Trainee or a new one 17 day wonder, still see newbies coming in and instantly getting shot down because they dared not use the right terminology (God Forbid) I still see the odd diyer coming on for a bit of advice only to be verbally abused and snapped at with those famous word 'Get an Electrician', not forgeting the posts about low wages. So nothing fresh guys. Notice a few of the old names have dropped out and only appear now and again.
So time for yet another break. i'll visit for a quick look to see whats happening. Keep lucky guys and gals. cheers

Well after a break of nearly 4 months from the forum last week i decided to join in again. Conclusion is not great im afraid as i still see most posts ending in Electrical Trainee or a new one 17 day wonder, still see newbies coming in and instantly getting shot down because they dared not use the right terminology (God Forbid) I still see the odd diyer coming on for a bit of advice only to be verbally abused and snapped at with those famous word 'Get an Electrician', not forgeting the posts about low wages. So nothing fresh guys. Notice a few of the old names have dropped out and only appear now and again.
So time for yet another break. i'll visit for a quick look to see whats happening. Keep lucky guys and gals. cheers

nothing changes because the industry is on the same downward slope,added to the mess the country is in people get a bit wound up when people are taking away they living for a quick buck..that applies to the one man band and the major contractors,sparks everywhere are being hit,in fact not just sparks but all trades

The bottom line is that the Forum seems to allow new posters far more rope than the loyal members.

Moderators and Dan take note, you may need new members but remember YOU are diluting the quality of the membership .....the only way is down.

The bottom line is that the Forum seems to allow new posters far more rope than the loyal members.

Moderators and Dan take note, you may need new members but remember YOU are diluting the quality of the membership .....the only way is down.

I think that's quite the opposite of mayfairs post.

I think that's quite the opposite of mayfairs post.

May be, but if you review the threads regularly, the number of newbies/DIY'ers is IMHO, on the up big time, PLUS the so called apprentices seem to want all the answers on a plate, without offering up an answer for clarity, or bothering to do a decent search themselves. OR SAY THANKS

Do a search on user Ted Glen and read his posts!

Last edited by a moderator:
May be, but if you review the threads regularly, the number of newbies/DIY'ers is IMHO, on the up big time, PLUS the so called apprentices seem to want all the answers on a plate, without offering up an answer for clarity, or bothering to do a decent search themselves.

well in my spinny eyed view of things the number of new posters members whatever arnt real,its a numbers game maybe the forum has lost direction as has been said in previous posts.

In fairness to all concerned, everyone's gotta start somewhere, and as Dan has so rightly pointed out in his recent thread, there's not a sole on this forum that either didn't stumble across it whilst googling for something (like me) or got pointed towards by a mate as a source of knowledge.

Either way, it's still got me interested to join in, help where I can, and get the occasional bit of help in return. If the internet had existed when I was an apprentice then I'm damn sure I'd have been all over it like a rash, too, but back then the only techy **** was the previous edition workshops RS catalogue.

Yes, - 2 Neutral Bars, why? - clearly someone who's up for taking a chance with his own and others lives, but then I look forward to seeing the next six months of comedy posts from him asking why he can't get an RCD to stay or what to do about the shed or how do you do a 2 way lx cct or whatever.

Those of us who make our living (or try to) at this KNOW who the chancers are before we've even opened the thread half the time, they fool no-one but themselves, so most of the time I don't even bother to read them. Some may see me as an 'established' member here, yet from my perspective I don't come remotely close in relation to people like Tony, Tel, E54, Lenny.....the list is pretty long.

My kids have just gone back to school, both of them moving up another year - and it makes me smile to hear them taking the mick out of the new kids just starting, because people have short memories!! Isn't this place just a little bit like that playground?

Any public forum will always be full of variation and not all posts will be interesting to everyone who reads them....it's the pure nature of a public forum that anyone can access.

Since i joined these forums (only afew months back) and having been in the trade over 25yrs i've gained alot of info about various things from the combined knowledge of many different members here.....tbh it's reading these forums that has finaly given me the push to gift my cash to Part P (as i'm doing more and more domestic at the moment) AND joining Elecsa instead of falling for the hype of a certain other scheme.

I dont post unless i have certain thoughts about a thread or can add some helpful info (if someone else has already given the advice i would i dont post).....basically if i dont like the thread i tend not to even bother posting as due to the staleness of the written (typed) word it can often be taken the wrong way (getting into futile arguements on internet gaming forums taught me that lesson)

Reply to Nothing changes !! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net