Discuss Notifiable work and part P in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

leep82

-
Arms
Reaction score
hi all just a quick one. My sister is currently in the process of moving house and the solicitors have asked to see an EIC for an orangery she had built back in 2013. I carried out the electrical work for her at the time, and it was pretty standard stuff. Four double sockets and a light, the light was fed via an unswitched fused spur at low level from. The unswitched fused spur and four double sockets were all fed of the existing ring final circuit within the house. On completion i issued a Minor Works Certificate, she has had to present this to the solicitor but they are saying it needs to be an EIC which i believe is wrong.

As far as im aware the work i did was not notifiable work, of course it still needed to be tested which it was. I know that Part P has recently changed with regards to what is and isnt notifiable. Any ideas as to whether the work i carried out back then was notifiable or not. The build was all signed off by LABC and my sister still has the copy of the MWC i issued. Im just trying to arm myself with the right information as ive told her i will speak to her solicitors if needs be.

Speak to the solicitor and explain the difference and send them the niceic table as it seems lawyers think they are the be all and end all of electrical gods.
Worse case is your sister has to fork out for an indemnity policy but the labc certificate signing off the overall work plus your minor works certificate and test results should suffice. You could always do a eicr covering just the work you done previously?

Speak to the solicitor and explain the difference and send them the niceic table as it seems lawyers think they are the be all and end all of electrical gods.
Worse case is your sister has to fork out for an indemnity policy but the labc certificate signing off the overall work plus your minor works certificate and test results should suffice. You could always do a eicr covering just the work you done previously?
Yeah ive thought about doing that

Same as the NICEIC in many respects then Gavin

Same as the NICEIC in many respects then Gavin
Yeah pretty much both have a sense off over self importance, both provide services for excessive fees and if you pay the scams you are in, pay a solicitor money and they will tell you what you want to hear as long as the cheques keep coming both will be your friends.

Ah...all wrong, in some respects. Lawyers these days get involved in stuff they shouldn't, but this is due to the ridiculous requirements of the lenders. They should NEVER be expected to be experts in electrical matters...or building control matters etc. However, they are often placed as the arbiters of last resort, in order to get the deal done. Stupidly, some of them accept this. Indemnity policies are useful, as they give comfort, but in reality they are usually useless as they seldom cover the real risks for which they are requested, mainly because the people who write the cover are ex-solicitors.
There is one fairly safe way of getting the right resolution, and that is to say "willing buyer, willing seller...do you want to buy this or not?"
That usually flushes out the time-wasters, just say you are walking away...
Another way round this is to tell the purchasers to get their own eicr, and the seller will pay for that...a few hundred quid on a multi-thousand pound deal isn't a problem...if any problems arise, the cost of rectification is usually minor compared with the price of the deal, and a compromise usually ensues. Whatever, it is NOT the province of the lawyers. BTW, when you attend a house for repairs etc and quote your rate, well...maybe it's lower than many lawyers, but remember that you are both protecting different things. I have no problem paying a spark a good rate, but when I used to suggest £100 for a will, I was met with incredulity..."what? 100 quid for a piece of paper?" Yes, 3 hours work minimum, to protect your whole estate, often 100's of thousands of £s...when I quoted £500 they thought it must be worthwhile! I know electricians protect lives, and there is no price on that, but I don't see people dying in droves every day due to dodgy electrical work. Ah well, to return to the OP, tell them to get lost...or proceed as above with eicr and split the cost.
For those of you in denial, I speak from the experience here in Scotland, where we never have required any electrical certification in a house sale procedure...the Home Report is all you get, and that puts the onus on the Chartered Surveyor who carried out the survey...and do you think he/she ever commits themselves on electrical matters? No, of course they don't...they recommend inspection every time...why? Because they are not qualified to comment, they cover their backs by recommending inspection, and their PI insuresr prohibit them from doing so...and rightly so.

Personally I can see why they are asking for an EIC, although you are technically correct in issuing a minor works. In these types of jobs I do do an EIC in any case as I think these kind of works merit one for exactly these reasons.

1. Its not your place to talk to your sisters solicitor

2. All the solicitor needs is the summary of what a minor certificate is used for.....

Does she have a completion certificate from LABC?

Can't you just say say that you're not able to say what condition the wiring is in, and adjust the price to allow for a rewire?

As far as im aware the work i did was not notifiable work, of course it still needed to be tested which it was. I know that Part P has recently changed with regards to what is and isnt notifiable. Any ideas as to whether the work i carried out back then was notifiable or not. The build was all signed off by LABC and my sister still has the copy of the MWC i issued. Im just trying to arm myself with the right information as ive told her i will speak to her solicitors if needs be.

The Part P regs 2005-2013, installations requiring notification, applied to (amongst others) garden lighting & power installations . Not owning an orangery but suspect its some sort of greenhouse, I'm guessing that's what they are thinking.

April 2013, these 'special installations' were removed from Part P (England), unless your sister lives in Wales.

However, when LABC sign off a 'project', that would normally include the services.

i a new circuit was not installed, then a MEWIC is the correct cert. it is actually an EIC, albiet a minor one. there's no reason why anyone should refuse to accept it.

Orangeries are as much used for horticulture as most people's conservatories, i.e., it's just another room.

Orangeries offer a difference to your standard Conservatory - https://www.ultraframe-conservatories.co.uk/orangery-products/orangery-overview/

Oh silly me, I was thinking something like this;

upload_2017-12-16_15-28-36.jpeg
:)

Reply to Notifiable work and part P in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net