Discuss Nvq 3 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dougb

Hi all

I am 35 years old and have found myself in the position to be able to afford to finally retrain as an electrician after years of saving.

I plan on undertaking the 2365 levels 1 & 2 at TradeSkills4u over 30 weeks but I am perplexed as to how to go about seeking employment with a view to attaining my NVQ 3.

Should I try to apply to companies as an Electrician? Or should I go in as a Mate? As with all roles the dreaded Catch 22 arises (no job without experience and no experience without job!)

Any advice would be greatly received :eek:)

You can't complete an NVQ 3 without being employed by an electrical contractor that covers a wide spectrum of installations. Even if you were employed by a contractor/company that deals mostly with domestic work, you still wouldn't be able to complete the requirements of the current NVQ 3 legitimately...

You can't complete an NVQ 3 without being employed by an electrical contractor that covers a wide spectrum of installations. Even if you were employed by a contractor/company that deals mostly with domestic work, you still wouldn't be able to complete the requirements of the current NVQ 3 legitimately...

Thanks for your response.

I suppose the probability of a inexperienced 2365 qualified Electrician being taken on by a big commercial firm is quite slim?

put yourself out there looking for a "mates" job.. be honest with them what your plans are but i wouldnt quote "qualified electrician" to them until youve completed the NVQ and AM2

put yourself out there looking for a "mates" job.. be honest with them what your plans are but i wouldnt quote "qualified electrician" to them until youve completed the NVQ and AM2

That is what I thought. Looking at Mates jobs the majority ask for a CSCS card - looking at the website it seems that you can only apply for a card if you are employed, but again, you cannot get employment without one!

Or am I missing something...?

Anyone can apply for a CSCS card and do the relevant test for it. This will at least allow you on sites where they stipulate you need one to start with.

You are maybe mistaking it for a ECS/JIB card where you need a sponser to sign off your form.

Anyone can apply for a CSCS card and do the relevant test for it. This will at least allow you on sites where they stipulate you need one to start with.

You are maybe mistaking it for a ECS/JIB card where you need a sponser to sign off your form.

Excellent - so hopefully the path should look like this...

Do 2365 course, get CSCS card and find job as a mate with the intention of completing the NVQ. The only hurdle I can foresee is trying to get the job without experience, but I would imagine that with a bit of determination and perseverance this can be overcome.

Youngsters I know, have had to work on CIS self employed basis and the course gets paid for by the Government (up to a certain age of the trainee)

Their taught jack sh*t most of the time on site, just cheap labour and struggle to get their portfolio filled out as per red text above.

Was told of a lad who got his NVQ 3 signed of by the college as red text above but the work he was doing was mainly domestic.

yeah as Dillb mentioned get a trainee card or improver whatever it is they will issue you that will get you in the door to a site. have you got a small set of hand tools. hi viz hard hat etc ?. atleast if you get a call you can start straight away no rushing around looking for bits

yeah as Dillb mentioned get a trainee card or improver whatever it is they will issue you that will get you in the door to a site. have you got a small set of hand tools. hi viz hard hat etc ?. atleast if you get a call you can start straight away no rushing around looking for bits

I have got some tools but have not got Hiviz vest or hard hat - there should be no problem in obtaining these though.

Appreciate all your input on this as I am about to leave my job to embark on this path. It is something I have always wanted to do but never had the finances to do so. Nonetheless it is a daunting move to make, especially at the employment stage hence the thread.

yeah i remember leaving the uk and coming to Australia that was daunting. but you make it work. just out of curiosity what were you doing before ?

I work in the IT industry in Tech Support. I originally wanted to be an electrician upon leaving school but I couldn't find any openings for apprentices and gave up in the end. At 35 I'm not getting any younger so going to bite the bullet and do what I always wanted to do!

Just be careful, it isn't the endless money pit the likes of the people who your going to do your training with try and tell you.

Do you have a link to the actual courses you have signed up to? As it may be cheaper and more productive to do the courses at your local college.

This is the course I have in mind (They throw in Part P and 17th Ed free I believe)

City & Guilds 2365 Course Level 2 & 3 Diploma

I have checked local colleges but their timetables dictate that I couldn't attend without leaving work.

My reasons for wanting to retrain are not money motivated. I am doing it purely to receive job satisfaction and hopefully one day be self employed. If I make 5% more than I earn now I will be happy

I dont know much about college fees, but that amonut looks extortionate. Could you not find out how much the college charges, and use any saved money to pay for time off work, as will also be able to pay them annually or before you start your course and up front in one big lump sum.

I believe you can do day release so will be able take just one day a week off work .

As for Part P and 17th edition being free I am afraid these will costed into the cost of the course. Part P also being a complete waste of time and money.

This is the course I have in mind (They throw in Part P and 17th Ed free I believe)

City & Guilds 2365 Course Level 2 & 3 Diploma

I have checked local colleges but their timetables dictate that I couldn't attend without leaving work.

My reasons for wanting to retrain are not money motivated. I am doing it purely to receive job satisfaction and hopefully one day be self employed. If I make 5% more than I earn now I will be happy

Mate

If your not working in the industry at the same time, your going to struggle imo

So you spend 30 weeks at college for what ? Get yourself on a company first, site work goes hand in hand with the course.

Just done a quick search of the 2365 courses, found one training company who will do each level for £1920 each so a total of £3840 including vat, so think that puts the cost you are paying into perspective.

Admittedly I have never heard of the company doing it, but they do advertise you can do it at night and weekends.

I dont know much about college fees, but that amonut looks extortionate. Could you not find out how much the college charges, and use any saved money to pay for time off work, as will also be able to pay them annually or before you start your course and up front in one big lump sum.

I believe you can do day release so will be able take just one day a week off work .

As for Part P and 17th edition being free I am afraid these will costed into the cost of the course. Part P also being a complete waste of time and money.

Yes I am in no doubt it is a lot more than what the colleges charge, but I have no choice as taking one day off a week is not an option available to me unfortunately.

Just done a quick search of the 2365 courses, found one training company who will do each level for £1920 each so a total of £3840 including vat, so think that puts the cost you are paying into perspective.

Admittedly I have never heard of the company doing it, but they do advertise you can do it at night and weekends.

That figure (£1920) sounds familiar. :) Have been doing the 2365-03 the past year, every Monday evening. The majority of students are already in the trade. It's been good. :)

Mate

If your not working in the industry at the same time, your going to struggle imo

So you spend 30 weeks at college for what ? Get yourself on a company first, site work goes hand in hand with the course.

My rationale was that a firm would be more inclined to take on someone with the 2365 certification than without?

Reply to Nvq 3 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net