Currently reading:
off topic ( how to confuse an electrician )

Discuss off topic ( how to confuse an electrician ) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So my faithful laptop was getting a bit weary so thought it was time to upgrade. I had just got used to windows 7, but thought I would try windows 8 so I have just treat myself to a touch screen HP laptop 1 tb hard drive 8gb memory nice little laptop. but I suddenly feel really really old I have got tiles sliding from left to right . I move something then can't find it, then find something else and then can't move it :sad_smile: don't you just love technology. just wondered who else on here was using same set up i.e. windows 8 and touch screen. I think us old ones should stick together :rockon2:

Closest I've got to windows 8 was someone asked for some help to set up a new laptop after looping through the same set up screens twice I realised that it was one to steer clear of as it would not accept that set up had been completed

I bought a new personal laptop late last year to replace my venerable old Rock P4D unit that the kids broke the screen on..

Acer Aspire i5 3380 with 8GB 1666MHz memory, 2GB NVidia graphics, 1 512TB SSD and 1 1TB 7200rpm Samsung HDD....lovely kit...it was also running W8Pro which was a ham fisted excuse of an OS...still it is stable so a vast improvement on Microsoft Encephalitis. Vista was not as bad as people say of you had the Pro version.

Anyway, If I wanted a 15.3" Phone I would have bought one, so I installed a program to restore the start button and conventional windows menu system, most people do not notice it is running W8...for the life of me I cannot recall the name of the program as it simply sits in the background..Aha..it's called Pokki

I bought a new personal laptop late last year to replace my venerable old Rock P4D unit that the kids broke the screen on..

Acer Aspire i5 3380 with 8GB 1666MHz memory, 2GB NVidia graphics, 1 512TB SSD and 1 1TB 7200rpm Samsung HDD....lovely kit...it was also running W8Pro which was a ham fisted excuse of an OS...still it is stable so a vast improvement on Microsoft Encephalitis. Vista was not as bad as people say of you had the Pro version.

Anyway, If I wanted a 15.3" Phone I would have bought one, so I installed a program to restore the start button and conventional windows menu system, most people do not notice it is running W8...for the life of me I cannot recall the name of the program as it simply sits in the background..Aha..it's called Pokki

start8 is another popular one to restore startmenu.

the reason people didnt like vista was there are a lot of things allways running that slows it down and disabling them etc is not simple enough for most users

am i in need of an upgrade too ??

images.jpg

it does run a bit slow on "gentlemens entertainment" sites..........
;-D

am i in need of an upgrade too ??

View attachment 19303

it does run a bit slow on "gentlemens entertainment" sites..........
;-D

Now you're making me feel old, that was my first computer, followed by a ZX81...had to learn programming in machine code and DOS to work them..great days..

They were then followed by this..

sharp_mz1200_1.jpg

My venerable old Sharp MZ80A. I actually still owned that baby until about 8 years ago when it was stolen in a burglary...It still worked too...I once toyed with getting Windows 3.1 to run on it, but the memory was the issue...(The computers and not mine :) )

Guys I thought I felt old , but if some of you actually owned one of these then I suddenly feel like a spring chicken, cheers guys I feel better already :party:

Cant stand windows 8, its just too "footery", and its more complicated to do simple things than it should be. IMO, windows 7 if your looking for a stable (ish) modern op system, if you have a cooy of Vista in your house, get it out if your house again...(enough said), but the best of the best, is good old faithful XP. Cant go wrong there! Windows are stopping support for xp though which is a shame...

One thing about 7 though... I just done a nice clean install of it on my pc.... and this came up: (see attatchment)...

Installing as i speak...since 8:30 ish...

Attachments

• 2013-06-10 21.34.39.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 35
Cant stand windows 8, its just too "footery", and its more complicated to do simple things than it should be. IMO, windows 7 if your looking for a stable (ish) modern op system, if you have a cooy of Vista in your house, get it out if your house again...(enough said), but the best of the best, is good old faithful XP. Cant go wrong there! Windows are stopping support for xp though which is a shame...

One thing about 7 though... I just done a nice clean install of it on my pc.... and this came up: (see attatchment)...

Installing as i speak...since 8:30 ish...

download the service pack disk from microsofts website.

then install windows and dont select auto updates and instead install sp1.

then after restarts turn auto back on and there will be a lot less updates

Reply to off topic ( how to confuse an electrician ) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock