Discuss Ogdens Tobacco Factory in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

I once had to strip out an old liquidated ,medium sized ship engineering works on the banks of the Tyne .
I had a lump in my throat , and almost in tears.

1984 I was asked to chaperone a pump engineer to a shaft inset of a coalmine there was a pump there as the pumps in the pit bottom were not strong enough to reach the surface. The engineer fixed the pump but by that time the cage was busy with materials so had 40 mins to pass.
I decided to have a look around after seeing the onsetter using an old cast iron phone with magneto and 2 ear pieces on a hinge to contact the surface. Like this ERICSSON N2974 & N2984 - http://www.britishtelephones.com/ericsson/n2974.htm
its the second phone without the handset.
I soon stumbled across a huge crankshaft driven ram pump with an 8 foot flywheel and four cylinders complete with switchgear and motor painted green with red pinstripes like an old steam engine. It had a name painted on it too but my memory fails me. huge brass pressure gauge and brass cocks everywhere. A work of art left to rot. did spin the wheel and it turned after a bit too.

Thats a great experience.
A lot of the stuff up here was left down the mines when they closed .
I doubt they will never see the light of day again.

I worked with an old timer (that's me now lol) that when one of the opencast sites finished, the company had no extended work for six old Euclid dumpers , and no buyer for them.
They dug a box cut , reversed them in and buried them.
We do not know what is under our feet lol.

Reply to Ogdens Tobacco Factory in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net