Discuss Oil and Gas Industry requisites?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sean87

Hey guys, i dont really get to post much on here but im at a bit of a crossroads right now and i think yous could provide the help in direction i need. Looking to make a bit more money for myself and get into a prosperous carreer which can go places and was thinking the Oil and Gas Industry seems like the best place to be. My question is what sort of certification and courses would i be best to go for??

Right now i have SVQIII 17th Edition electrician but not done any other courses. Experiences over the last 5 years are mostly domestic installations and testing in houses, done a fair bit of commercial work, AV engineering and data engineering. My only real industrial type work has been when i worked on lifts.*

I know the COMPEX is my main one to go for and thats where i will begin but is there any other courses that would be beneficial?? was thinking maybe 2391 but from what i have heard from people it seems a bit daunting and not sure if it would be wise to spend my money on something im not entirely convinced i could pass. Any help would be greatly appreciated, chears lads

Sean

Not so sure going into Oil would be that prosperous tbh,my old man is an oil boiler service engineer (hopes to retire in afew years) and he reckons it's a dieing trade....only need OFTEC and no other qaulifications from he says to do the job.

I'd have thought if looking into the future prosperity maybe look into the various renewable services as these are being pushed more and more.

Or after getting a quote recently for £800+VAT for a days work to take down a eucalyptus tree in my garden maybe we should all become landscape gardeners and tree surgeons.

I guess, everyone seems to have it different some people seem quiet in the industry and others say they are up to theyr eyeballs in work. I mean i dont want to limit myself to anything specific, i have even fancied going offshore although i know that can be quite difficult these days. Think COMPEX is a requisite for that line of work.*

I have worked doing solar panels several times in the past but that seemed to up and down like a yoyo, busy for a few months then dead because of the government bumping tarrifs up and down at will. Just looking to better myself really, i am very money motivated (aint we all) so looking to get into wherever the most earning potential is.

Thanks for the reply mate

Hey Sean, I work offshore have done for a few years now, unless u have opito recognised qualifications or you know someone in the industry willing to vouch for u, ur chances of getting a start offshore as a spark are very slim, I have been on countless courses which are relevant to the offshore industry I.e. NOV plc training, cyber base school, fire and gas alarm programming and design, Siemens step 7 programming, toshiba, Top drive systems, compex, refrigeration and Hvac systems,dc and ac drives, SCR's, Don't want to sound like I'm putting you down but unless you have
great troubleshooting skills and a sound knowledge of plc's and electronics aswell as power generation and distribution along with high voltage systems your SVQ3 is not really gonna cut it, your 17th edition is pretty much worthless out here too. Your best bet would be to do the compex and get a job doing ex inspections or working on boats. Or if u want to get rig experience and a foot in the door go offshore as a roustabout or another entry level position and get networking once your out there your options are limitless. The hard part is getting out there! I am only 28 and don't have an svq or nvq in installation but I do have opito qualifications in process engineering and maintenance of offshore installations, I work as a rig electrician and basically I take of everything on the rig from the drillfloor equipment like top drives, iron roughnecks right down to changing lightbulbs in the bogs lol. If you go out and don't know what your doing you won't last a week so my advice is try an entry level position and work your way up as a lot of jobs offshore are promotion from within and new entry level guys are brought through.

Sorry if I sound like a dick I'm just trying to give you advice on how to go about it. Also a sound knowledge of electrical motors is good, hope you find something if you need info on offshore companies give me a shout I'm happy to help

Reply to Oil and Gas Industry requisites?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net