Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Old cable

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum' started by WDFY, Feb 19, 2012.

Discuss Old cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. WDFY

WDFY Guest

Hi

Just been to quote for fitting a new bathroom and noticed there is an old 2.5mm shower cable where the shower was, what is the safest way to terminate the wire?

I'm not an electrician so not sure can I legally remove the wire, is there an acceptable means of isolating it (junction box??)

Thanks

CG

2. D80

D80 Guest

Safest way would be to call in a spark:p

Do you know if the cable is live? Disconnecting it and removing it from service would be the safest way. Is there a pullcord or switch for the shower?

3. WDFY

WDFY Guest

There was a pull core on the ceiling, I tested it and its not live even when the switch is pulled, looks like the fuse was removed

4. nikmet

nikmet Electrician's Arms

This job will be done safely and properly within an hour i would guess,so wont cost a lot, don'
    t mess around with bathroom electrics, get a qualified professional in to ensure its left 100% safe.

5. Hiddo

Hiddo Guest

In theory yes you can terminate it in a junction box but I think you need to get a professional opinion. 2.5mm cable should not be used near a shower and if it has been the cable will need inspecting and testing to ensure it is safe to be left connected to the consumer unit.

6. WDFY

WDFY Guest

Thanks guys, I have an aversion to all things electric, prefer to leave it to the proffesionals so happy to get someone in, if had been as simple as putting cable into a heavy duty junction box I could have done that and tiled over it.

Customer may not be happy with the extra £'s but hey ho.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SPARTYKUS

SPARTYKUS Trusted Advisor

Might have been one of those noisy, pumped showers, in which case 2.5mm2 may have been fine but its all cobblers anyway as its going

8. GLENNSPARK

GLENNSPARK Electrician's Arms

well personally i dont like the idea that it can be joint boxed and plastered into the wall...tiled over...whatever as if it is a case of the fuse having been removed it could happen that the supply is inadvertantly reinstated in the future by an unsuspecting homeowner....this cable should be removed from the location properly and either disconnected at a joint (if spurred)....or disconnected at the C/U (if a dedicated radial)......

• Like Like x 3
  9. MarkieSparkie

MarkieSparkie Guest

Get a registered spark to remove the cable(s) completely. Post your location if you would like a local member to help you.

• Like Like x 1
  10. WDFY

WDFY Guest

Thanks for advice, spoke to a sparky who is a friend of a friend he is going to do it for £75, customer is happy with that price so win win.

• Like Like x 1
  11. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    £75.hmmm... looks like i'm too cheap.

12. WDFY

WDFY Guest

How much would you have reckoned on?

13. Big n Daft

Big n Daft Guest

75 notes for an hours work????
    When and where, I'll have some of that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    i'd quote £50 as long as it wasn't more than 10 miles each way travel.

15. brman

brman Guest

I thought we were supposed to complain that people don't pay enough, not the other way around? :lol:£75 doesn't sound cheap but then it doesn't sound like a rip off either. it might take an hour to find the other end of that cable!

• Like Like x 1