Discuss Old YEB fuse box in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Can anybody help, I am looking to rewiring an old three storey house for a friend. I've not been in the trade very long. I am looking at an old fuse box with a cut out with a YEB sticker over, which gives you an idea how old the cut out is. There are two cables entering the cut out and two exiting it, to the meter. There is no sign of an MET or indications of a TT. I have not removed the cover yet. Can anybody suggest what type of system I have here. The only sign of an earth is a 2.5mm wire from a water pipe going into the back of the old fuse box. Would I need to contact the DNO to have this altered.
:hammer:

May I suggest that you send me a private message and I'll come around and have a look at it for you and sort it out. Best offer your going to get.

No main earth.

Typical of the Harehills and Roundhay Park area of Leeds, ask anyone that has worked these areas. 9 times out of 10 you can get a great Ze with a 3ft rod. 2 months ago I got 0.27 due to the moist earth under the cellar floor.

Sounds like the OP just needs a TT setting up. Send me a PM and I'll pop around on the way home from work and have a look at it for you free of charge.

That bare wire will almost certainly be the original 3/029 or 7/029 earthing conductor connecting the installation to the means of earthing (the towns metal water main)
In modern parlance it would be called a TT system, but in hose days I don't think they had such acronyms.

If the service head is cast iron and has rewireable fuses for both line and neutral get the DNO in to change the service head out (free of charge). At the same time you can enquire if the supply network to this house has a PME/TNC-S connection available....

There would be no need for Paul to get involved (and profit) if the OP uses his common sense and did some testing.

A photograph of this set up would save a 1000 words.

I'm with eng 54, phone the DNO up and they will probably come and change the cutout free of charge and at the same time give you TNC-S/PME if available. I've seen many of this style with no bushes or grommets where the tails pass in and out of the metal enclosure, VIR tails from the cutout to the meter,etc and are normally in such a poor state that you wouldn't want to leave it in place.

Reply to Old YEB fuse box in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net