Discuss Opening up holes for down lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J.C.E

-
Arms
Reaction score
Morning

any tips on neat ways of opening up a already cut 60mm hole in plasterboard ceiling into a 74mm hole for slightly larger down lights.

or is it just a case of pad saw- slow and steady?

cheers guys

I have a cheap set of downlight cutters from toolstation. I have found if I use a 20mm locknut as a spacer, I can thread two cutters onto the arbor with the smaller one being proud so I can use it as a guide.

Or as you say, gently padsaw a marked hole.

I have a cheap set of downlight cutters from toolstation. I have found if I use a 20mm locknut as a spacer, I can thread two cutters onto the arbor with the smaller one being proud so I can use it as a guide.

Or as you say, gently padsaw a marked hole.

quite a smart idea if you think about it! Will give it a pop. Cheers mate

this is the set
Toolstation > Power Tool Accessories > Holesaws > Down Light Holesaw Kit

and this is what it looks like doubled up

2014-09-12 09.48.38.jpg

excellent tip. now come back with a method of making the holes smaller. :smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Ive just googled it and looked at it, looks quite a good bit of kit, I have had to make some wider in the past and strangely enough my parents asked me last night to replace their down lights in their bathroom and I know they need making bigger.

I only use Bosch Progressor Hole Saws, so would need to have a lot of holes to consider it really, but yes its a good idea.

I think ill just draw a line round the hole and pad saw it out as usual.

Get the proper tool for the job. Google oops arbor by starrett. Making holes larger and neat a breeze
Good man,beat me to it. It's called a re-saw adapter,and allows a smaller cutter to act as "guide" for a larger one. You can also screw/glue/wedge a piece of batten across,and use the centre bit,in the centre of the new hole position. Yet another way,is to cut your larger sized hole,in a piece of ply,and use that,as a guide for the new aperture. There's plenty more where they come from....orifices are a hobby of mine...:bow:

1/ Cut a template of the correct size hole in a piece of plywood.
2/ Hold the plywood over the hole you want to enlarge.
3/ Place the hole saw in the plywood and apply a slow speed to mark and start the hole.
4/ Then either apply more pressure until you're through or remove plywood template and finish the hole cut.
5/ Don't forget to move the existing cables to one side and check also that you actually have the room to make the hole.
6/ Some existing holes sit close to joists, so you may need to offset the new hole.

1/ Cut a template of the correct size hole in a piece of plywood.
2/ Hold the plywood over the hole you want to enlarge.
3/ Place the hole saw in the plywood and apply a slow speed to mark and start the hole.
4/ Then either apply more pressure until you're through or remove plywood template and finish the hole cut.
5/ Don't forget to move the existing cables to one side and check also that you actually have the room to make the hole.
6/ Some existing holes sit close to joists, so you may need to offset the new hole.

I can't beleve how many replies there have been here when the problem was solved within the first reply post!

Holesaw within holesaw is exactly how i do it, also with the same dust shroud, saves loads of mess from cutting downlighters

That post above is just comical, what a mess about trying to hold plywood up whilst padsawing the hole out

Reply to Opening up holes for down lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net