• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Our first property - seller says CU is older than 2005 - no cert required in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Benuk

-
Reaction score
Hi all

We're moving in to our first property - it's a 1950's build. The house has been bought buy a property developer who bought it from the previous owner so that they could purchase a new build (part ex).

We had a survey done recently and one of the things that has come up is the lack of any kind of electrical certificate for the consumer unit. The property developer's solicitors have said that the previous owner had not had any electrical work done since they moved in (pre 2005) and as such a certificate was not required.

Fortunately I had the foresight to take some photos of it whilst I was there and to me it certainly looks newer than something that would have been installed 13-odd years ago. It is a split load MK CU with RCD etc. It's a metal box which as far as I'm aware is a recent requirement (17th edition?) and may not have even been available pre-2005. I've attached a couple of pictures to this email.

In my opinion some DIY'er or whoever has installed this unit without being qualified and obviously not able to supply a cert. But that's just my opinion - any help on identifying the year of this model would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Our first property - seller says CU is older than 2005 - no cert required 20180602_123701 - EletriciansForums.net

Our first property - seller says CU is older than 2005 - no cert required 20180602_123712 - EletriciansForums.net

No, it's a metal MK Sentry Consumer unit of current design. I've fitted a few.

In England and Wales (Part P 2013 and 2010 editions respectively) there should have been a notification submitted to the local authority building control that the consumer unit has been replaced. There should also be an Electrical Installation Certificate for the work (a consumer unit change requires this).

Whilst metal Consumer Units have been available for donkey years, the particular Standard which the one in the picture is manufactured to has not.
That particular standard was introduced on 31/05/2012.
It would not have been possible to purchase a Consumer Unit manufactured to that standard prior to the standard being introduced.

No, it's a metal MK Sentry Consumer unit of current design. I've fitted a few.

In England and Wales (Part P 2013 and 2010 editions respectively) there should have been a notification submitted to the local authority building control that the consumer unit has been replaced. There should also be an Electrical Installation Certificate for the work (a consumer unit change requires this).

Lovely- this is what I knew a little about and just need clarification on- am I able to contact the LABC to request this information or should I leave it up to our solicitors?

Hi all

We're moving in to our first property - it's a 1950's build. The house has been bought buy a property developer who bought it from the previous owner so that they could purchase a new build (part ex).

We had a survey done recently and one of the things that has come up is the lack of any kind of electrical certificate for the consumer unit. The property developer's solicitors have said that the previous owner had not had any electrical work done since they moved in (pre 2005) and as such a certificate was not required.

Fortunately I had the foresight to take some photos of it whilst I was there and to me it certainly looks newer than something that would have been installed 13-odd years ago. It is a split load MK CU with RCD etc. It's a metal box which as far as I'm aware is a recent requirement (17th edition?) and may not have even been available pre-2005. I've attached a couple of pictures to this email.

In my opinion some DIY'er or whoever has installed this unit without being qualified and obviously not able to supply a cert. But that's just my opinion - any help on identifying the year of this model would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

View attachment 42750

View attachment 42751
It looks quite a tidy job, on the outside, to be honest, maybe done as a result of a cash only job with no certificate, not sure of the date, but if you are worried insist on an Electrical Installation Condition Report, (EICR) could be around £250:00 but who pays is unsure, as I have no information as to the state of the purchase.

Last edited:
As said, this board was not available until changes to the regulations in 2015 prompted manufacturers to make metal consumer units.

An electrical installation certificate and building control certificate should be available, but not likely to be seeing as the homeowner is lying.

It looks quite a tidy job to be honest, maybe done as a result of a cash only job with no certificate, not sure of the date, but if you are worried insist on an Electrical Installation Condition Report, (EICR) could be around £250:00 but who pays is unsure, as I have no information as to the state of the purchase.
About as tidy as my hair in the morning:D

It looks quite a tidy job to be honest, maybe done as a result of a cash only job with no certificate, not sure of the date, but if you are worried insist on an Electrical Installation Condition Report, (EICR) could be around £250:00 but who pays is unsure, as I have no information as to the state of the purchase.

It would bother me if this was the case and they've scrimped on a few hundred quid for something that once done properly should last many years. What else could they have scrimped on :-/ At this moment our/their solicitors are waiting for us to sign the forms to confirm the purchase so the onus should be on them to pay, I'd have thought? Or perhaps we just lower our offer based on the above, I'm not sure. As I say this is our first purchase so any advice is always appreciated :)

It would bother me if this was the case and they've scrimped on a few hundred quid for something that once done properly should last many years. What else could they have scrimped on :-/ At this moment our/their solicitors are waiting for us to sign the forms to confirm the purchase so the onus should be on them to pay, I'd have thought? Or perhaps we just lower our offer based on the above, I'm not sure. As I say this is our first purchase so any advice is always appreciated :)
Knock 500 notes off the price subject to an EIC certificate or insist on an EICR paid for by the Vendor

Get them to pay for an EICR, you could pay and try and get some money knocked off the purchase price.

Also insist on 100% of circuits to be completed.

Reply to Our first property - seller says CU is older than 2005 - no cert required in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back