Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Our first property - seller says CU is older than 2005 - no cert required in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Benuk

Benuk EF Member

Hi all

We're moving in to our first property - it's a 1950's build. The house has been bought buy a property developer who bought it from the previous owner so that they could purchase a new build (part ex).

We had a survey done recently and one of the things that has come up is the lack of any kind of electrical certificate for the consumer unit. The property developer's solicitors have said that the previous owner had not had any electrical work done since they moved in (pre 2005) and as such a certificate was not required.

Fortunately I had the foresight to take some photos of it whilst I was there and to me it certainly looks newer than something that would have been installed 13-odd years ago. It is a split load MK CU with RCD etc. It's a metal box which as far as I'm aware is a recent requirement (17th edition?) and may not have even been available pre-2005. I've attached a couple of pictures to this email.

In my opinion some DIY'er or whoever has installed this unit without being qualified and obviously not able to supply a cert. But that's just my opinion - any help on identifying the year of this model would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

20180602_123701.jpg

20180602_123712.jpg

2. SparkyChick

SparkyChick Making a banana smoothy for my fave gorilla Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    SparkyChick
    No pictures, try again :)

3. Benuk

Benuk EF Member

In my haste I hadn't attached them :) Should be there now.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. SparkyChick

SparkyChick Making a banana smoothy for my fave gorilla Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    SparkyChick
    Definitely fitted after amendment 3 of the 17th (Dated 2015, the metal consumer unit part came into force in 2016).

Not to cast aspersions against the DIYers, but it looks like quite a nice tidy job... on the outside at least.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Benuk

Benuk EF Member

Is that in reference to the 61439-3 BS number?

6. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent Super Moderator Staff Member Trusted Advisor

That isn't from 2005, it's recent.....well within the last 2-3 years.

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. SparkyChick

Business Name:
    SparkyChick
    No, it's a metal MK Sentry Consumer unit of current design. I've fitted a few.

In England and Wales (Part P 2013 and 2010 editions respectively) there should have been a notification submitted to the local authority building control that the consumer unit has been replaced. There should also be an Electrical Installation Certificate for the work (a consumer unit change requires this).

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  8. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Trusted Advisor

MK actually design their boards so the mcbs all look pi**ed, nice design feature. I would have pushed for a test of it as a new board can cover a multitude of sins.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent Super Moderator Staff Member Trusted Advisor

And another thing is the bonding isn't correct either as it's installed on the pipe with the magnetic filter which is usually the return to the boiler and not the incoming water.

• Like Like x 5
  10. LankyWill

LankyWill Guest

Didn’t MK have a recall on some of its MCB’S? I can’t remember exactly because it’s not my go to brand.

11. spinlondon

spinlondon Trusted Advisor

Whilst metal Consumer Units have been available for donkey years, the particular Standard which the one in the picture is manufactured to has not.
    That particular standard was introduced on 31/05/2012.
    It would not have been possible to purchase a Consumer Unit manufactured to that standard prior to the standard being introduced.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Benuk

Benuk EF Member

Lovely- this is what I knew a little about and just need clarification on- am I able to contact the LABC to request this information or should I leave it up to our solicitors?

• Creative Creative x 1
  13. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    It looks quite a tidy job, on the outside, to be honest, maybe done as a result of a cash only job with no certificate, not sure of the date, but if you are worried insist on an Electrical Installation Condition Report, (EICR) could be around £250:00 but who pays is unsure, as I have no information as to the state of the purchase.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  14. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

As said, this board was not available until changes to the regulations in 2015 prompted manufacturers to make metal consumer units.

An electrical installation certificate and building control certificate should be available, but not likely to be seeing as the homeowner is lying.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Benuk

Benuk EF Member

Good spot :)

• Like Like x 2