Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Outdoor security light in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. dtec dave

dtec dave Regular EF Member

Hi

I'm just getting myself verified with Elecsa and I'm wiring my 1st job..Just come across a little sticking point!!

Do I wire an outdoor security light off my lighting circuit or do I take it from a FCU spurred off the power circuit?

The only reason I ask is that I always see security lights on spurs, could this be because they were added later?

Cheers

2. i=p/u

i=p/u Trusted Advisor

just to prtect the light going outside which is more like to cause a fault... which is probably manufacture instructions

3. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    you can do it either way to comply with regs. however, i always ( if possible) feed from a 2 pole FCU. then if there's a fault on the outside ( maybe by water ingress) it can easily be isolated by the client, thus allowing RCD/MCB to be reset.

4. i=p/u

i=p/u Trusted Advisor

thats what i ment to say, exact words

5. HandySparks

HandySparks Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Neish Electrical Services
    If it's a higher power light, such as a 500W flood taking just over 2A, then you might put it on the power circuit rather than overloading the lighting circuit. You need to check what the existing loading on the circuit is and choose accordingly.

6. dtec dave

dtec dave Regular EF Member

cheers...I have 3 security lights and 2 outdoor lights to fit, so think I am going to run them on thier own separate lighting circuit..good idea??

7. cook1e

cook1e Regular EF Member

If you can do it that would be a better way, think about how you can run the cables, which certificate you need to issue etc.
    Is the mains up to standard ? have you got enough money in the job etc

Martin