Discuss outdoor trunking in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Its always interesting this UV stuff and the effect it has. We all know best practise etc .. dictates that outside we should be using UV tolerant but how many times have you seen grey T&E, white multicore or white trunking/conduit that's been outside for donkeys. Maybe a bit of weathering on it but other than that functioning well!!

Maybe more of an issue in sunnier climes with an aggressive sun (plus more of it) than the UK, plus clearly dependent on how well its hid from the sun. I know my mothers house had all the external lights run in a white multicore, clipped to the brickwork some 30yrs ago by my Dad and they're still going to this day ......

Its always interesting this UV stuff and the effect it has. We all know best practise etc .. dictates that outside we should be using UV tolerant but how many times have you seen grey T&E, white multicore or white trunking/conduit that's been outside for donkeys. Maybe a bit of weathering on it but other than that functioning well!!

Maybe more of an issue in sunnier climes with an aggressive sun (plus more of it) than the UK, plus clearly dependent on how well its hid from the sun. I know my mothers house had all the external lights run in a white multicore, clipped to the brickwork some 30yrs ago by my Dad and they're still going to this day ......

I have seen plenty of T+E and white conduit that has been outside for decades and still functioning fine. I have also seen my fair share of brittle, cracked, examples of both from the effects of UV and weathering that is nowhere near suitable for continued use.
Depends which way the wind is blowing I suppose....

If the OP was talking about using mini trunking, can you imagine what it would look like even when new for gods sake!! lol!!

The general type of plastic used for white conduit etc, will become brittle in the presence of UV. Conduit that has been in place a number of years, will if tapped or inadvertently hit, break up into little bits around the area it struck. From then on, it's a steep downward trend of decay to a point where just touching it will cause it to disintegrate further ... lol!!

Reply to outdoor trunking in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net