Discuss Overhead bed lighting for reading. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Taggzy

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all, This is my first post.
The other night It was noticed that one of the lights started to flicker. Both bulbs were changed the next day and the one that flickered still flickered.
A further investigation showed that a RELCO MICRO 60 PFS ELECTRONIC TRANSFORMER had been fitted. To buy a replacement will cost something in the region of ÂŁ25 pound and will come from Europe (Germany). Is there a cheaper version that will do the job? I tried to send a photo but I am told it is to large for the server. Perhaps the details above will help.
I thank you in advance of your cooperation.
Tagzzy

This appears to be a 230 volts to 12 volts electronic transformer, rated at 60W maximum, and intended to power old type halogen lamps.
There are many different makes of transformers available that meet this spec. (although rapidly becoming obsolete, along with the lamps they power), but the problem may be finding one that will physically fit as a replacement.
If it were my fitting, I'd be looking to replace the lamps with LED versions (consuming about one tenth of the power for the same light output),and to replace the transformer with one designed to power them, but this will take some degree of electrical knowledge and practical skills.

This appears to be a 230 volts to 12 volts electronic transformer, rated at 60W maximum, and intended to power old type halogen lamps.
There are many different makes of transformers available that meet this spec. (although rapidly becoming obsolete, along with the lamps they power), but the problem may be finding one that will physically fit as a replacement.
If it were my fitting, I'd be looking to replace the lamps with LED versions (consuming about one tenth of the power for the same light output),and to replace the transformer with one designed to power them, but this will take some degree of electrical knowledge and practical skills.
Thank you brianmoooore for your rapid response and and the details regarding the LED's and the skills required to replace the transformer, when I can get one, that is suitable. I have a little knowledge of how to connect up electrical devices. However, if I need guidance on how to connect it up I will certainly come back to you.
Seasons greetings to you and yours and have a great 2023.
Tagzzy

You're going to have to get some detailed pics up of the complete fitting and its parts before we can advise further.
I've managed to get the odd pic. up on here from my phone, and I'm certainly no expert on that kind of thing.

Reply to Overhead bed lighting for reading. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock