Discuss panic button on the bathroom.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kuksiani

im installing new wiring on the clinic..architect asking me to install a pull court panic button on the disable bathroom..i don't have clue how to install them..there i have to install fire alarm and burglary alarm..did i have to connect on one of them or how..

The C-tec disabled alarm is ok, but you will need to run power into the toilet, Timeguard, use a simple two wire alarm, which powers the overhead strobe light, pull cord and reset button all down simple alarm cable. The power is only connected to the control unit, which is usually installed at the main reception entrance, next to the fire and security alarms. This also allows the reception staff warning of the toilet alarm

Which ever unit you are going to install, just give a design thaught to DDA. If the alarm is activated, and only sounds outside the toilet door (like most people fit) and cannot be heard at say the reception, then this will not help that person to gain help quickly...

Remember reset button and pull cord need to be accessible to the user whilst seated on the toilet pan or in a wheelchair.

Up until fairly recently, panic type bell pushes went into every bathroom installation in Cyprus. But they just used a simple 12v door bell arrangement (with different tone to the door bell). lol!!

Bs8300 for this one...pull cord requires two pull handles one at 100mm off floor level, the other handle 800mm-1000mm off floor level. This covers toilet level seating, and falls as snowhead has pointed out

I fit a lot of these alarms and I like to use the Ctec system
I've just done an install in a school with a disabled toilet in a corridor
i installed the 2 pull chords in the toilet one by the toilet and one by the shower
then installed the reset button by the toilet then installed the buzzer/light above the door and then installed the control panel in the manned reception with another buzzer/light to draw the attention to the alarm

The system is easy to install
a 240v supply to the control panel then a 6 core alarm cable to all the accessories I double up the cables to help the volt drop

it utilises 3 connections
positive
negative
signal wire

thank you very much to all..im bit clear of them but they have own control panel or i have to connect them to fire alarm or burglary alarm..there its just one disabled toilet..why i have to install buzzer/light above the door and in the reception..its small clinic with just 8 rooms and one reception..or its building regulation to have both buzzer/light ..

many thanks

No the system doesn't link to the fire alarm or burglar alarm.
You have to think logically about where you put the accessories ie the buzzers and lights

in the school job I said earlier I installed the buzzer and light above the door so people can see that the problem is in that toilet. The reception desk wasn't in line of sight of this so I installed an additional buzzer in the reception for the receptionist to see.

the instructions for the C-tec alarms was attached in a link in an earlier post would be good to check that link out

This thread has got me thinking!! Never done any before but went around to a friends mothers flat recently and noticed a pull cord alarm within the shower cubicle itself! Do these pull cords alarms have to meet BS7671 requirements?

These units are ELV and when installed on the ceiling are generally outside of the zones.

Nurse call and disabled toilets, dont actually have a BS, very strange I know....But are covered by BS8300, which is building design specifications and Disabled Discrimination Act (DDA) As I have tried to explain in other posts, installing the main control panel in the toilet, defeats the whole idea of getting assistance to a person in trouble by simply flashing a light and buzzer outside the toilet, To comply with BS8300 and DDA, some logical design thinking needs to be put in place to ensure, a person reqiring help is not left a thus discriminated against....

Reply to panic button on the bathroom.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net