Discuss Part 9 of the EIC in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

cliffed

-
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
What’s your take on the filling out of Part 9 Shedule of items tested on an EIC.
You’ve just fitted a DB in a large premises,you have only limited information on the electrical system.
The mains intake consists of a MPB, a MCCB, supplies this DB your replacing.
With limited details of the actual installation,bonding conductors etc would that Part 9,concern only the DB you are replacing.

No, all of the information is required. In larger commercial premises where it is often difficult to verify the information needed it is worth asking if a recent EICR is available. Usually one is and the required info can be copied from that with a few visual checks to verify nothing material has changed. If that is the case I always state on the EIC the source of information with the EICR number.

Cheers usual problems, finding the water, gas etc & getting into main switch room.
You get to the certification & all this is missing,I’m trying to get a better system in place,where we can get all the information in hand before.

Its a real headache trying to get all the information at the intake especially Ze when you cant switch anything off! And agreed locating bonding in large premises can be a nightmare.
Always wary of copying anything as i) You shouldn't ii) You are never sure it is correct in the first place!

Before installation of a new DB then this regulation should have been verified anyway.
If you can verify the bonding then don’t carry out the work.

Totally agree.. it’s a replacement of DB, there’s a. EIC going around somewhere, but not sent to us yet.
Also it would be ideal if you could actually enter a LIM, on the form.
Then the onus returns to the Client to speed up or the necessary documents.

Why is it that we electricians do everything,if a DB needs replacing in a large building with lots of DB’s,we then have to spend hours looking for the correct requirements on that installation.
I know it’s a possible way of losing the job but once again put the Onus on the Client,let them show us where the gas/ water etc are.
Pass drawings/Certs onto the sparky,that way it’s kinda a bit easier.

Some of our clients wouldn’t have a clue. Where they rent out the property and in some cases have never set foot on site!
Some of those renting are equally clueless, a young Thai girl in her nail bar springs to mind!

The amount of time I go into large commercial building and ask the where the main water stop tap ss and know one knows. I always suggest they should locate it incase there is a water leak and they need to turn the water off. Agree with cliff we always have to do a lot of free investigation work just to quote a job .

This is a good reason for using additional notes. If you need to, use them.
If details cannot be acquired should we pass on the job?
Did a one circuit job not long back, half a days work, in a massive hotel......absolutely no chance of getting the details. It's a case of testing as far as is possible and checking for safety, IMO, so why not a case of 'non accessible' or 'information unavailable'.
Loads of jobs in sports stadia and hotels where you can spend more time searching and asking for details than doing the job.
Access, test and certificate to the best of your ability, as the situation requires.

Obviously, domestic work is a different proposition altogether.

Last edited:
This is a good reason for using additional notes. If you need to, use them.
If details cannot be acquired should we pass on the job?
Did a one circuit job not long back, half a days work, in a massive hotel......absolutely no chance of getting the details. It's a case of testing as far as is possible and checking for safety, IMO, so why not a case of 'non accessible' or 'information unavailable'.
Loads of jobs in sports stadia and hotels where you can spend more time searching and asking for details than doing the job.
Access, test and certificate to the best of your ability, as the situation requires.

Obviously, domestic work is a different proposition altogether.
Spot on

Reply to Part 9 of the EIC in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net