Discuss Part L - MH11 LEDs in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MarkW82

I'm not an electrician but work in an electricians office and have been tasked with finding out the following.

We are currently installing MH11 fittings in a new house but need to retrofit them with LED bulbs. In most rooms these fittings are the sole or main source of light.

Are there any Part L compliance issues to consider. Do the bulbs need to have at least 400 lumen (I can't find any LEDs for this fitting with 400 Lumen). Or could we fit any LED bulbs if they are under 5 watts.

Thanks

your reference should be to lumens per circuit watt. think that's in part L.

The building regs are different on this side of the pond but I'd say you have your answer in post #2. It will Lumen per circuit watt, and pretty much anything LED will comply.

I can't say I've ever come across an MH11 lamp though? It wouldn't be the little downlight fittings (which would be MR11's)?

Bulbs grow in the garden Lamps!
Why would bulbs grow in there?

From working for myself for several years in domestic and light commercial is you have to speak to the customer in lingo they can understand, and understand back from them...
So... bulb = lamp
lamp = something that plugs into a socket, normally near a bed or in corner of a room
spotlight = downlight
spotlight = floodlight, generally external
spotlight = spotlight
Lead Light = LED Lamp (or bulb)
Neon Light = Fluorescent Batten Light
Trip = RCD
Trip = MCB
Nip round whenever you have a spare minute = get here within 48 hours
It'll only take you 10 mins = Allow at least 3 hours
I didn't touch anything = Lies
Nothing was on or happening when it tripped = Lies

I'm not an electrician but work in an electricians office and have been tasked with finding out the following.

We are currently installing MH11 fittings in a new house but need to retrofit them with LED bulbs. In most rooms these fittings are the sole or main source of light.

Are there any Part L compliance issues to consider. Do the bulbs need to have at least 400 lumen (I can't find any LEDs for this fitting with 400 Lumen). Or could we fit any LED bulbs if they are under 5 watts.

Thanks

Earn your money and do the task.

That is the purpose of any forum.

Forums aren’t for doing free research unless you’re a student. You’re being paid for your work, we’re not!

That is the purpose of any forum.

Forums aren’t for doing free research unless you’re a student. You’re being paid for your work, we’re not!

Its clear you don't want add anything constructive so it seems the purpose of your comments are to make yourself feel high and mighty. Which is pretty sad reflection on your life.

Before asking my question here I spoke to building control and a m&e engineer and various online sources and received conflicting information. Despite some of the helpful advice received here there doesn't appear to be a clear cut answer

I have learnt however that people like you seem to exist everywhere. What a wonderful experience it must be to work with you in real life.

Best place to ask for advice on the building regulations is the building inspector who will be signing off the final certificate for compliance with the building regulations.

Or else make use of the free download the part L document

Best place to ask for advice on the building regulations is the building inspector who will be signing off the final certificate for compliance with the building regulations.

Or else make use of the free download the part L document
dave is right, the only person you have got to please is building control, if there happy job done.

i say that because they make up there own rules and like certain things done a certain way.

personally if it is mr11 i would rip the transformer out and put in gu10 or other mains voltage lamps.

when the transformers go its a pain in the arse, if swapping the lamp doesnt work they will call you back but if swapping it works you wont get called back.

As shanky said, rip out the LV lampholder and change for GU10, you can get 400 Lumen + GU10 lamps easily and at a good price. To keep the transformer in place just leaves something else to go wrong!

Its clear you don't want add anything constructive so it seems the purpose of your comments are to make yourself feel high and mighty. Which is pretty sad reflection on your life.

Before asking my question here I spoke to building control and a m&e engineer and various online sources and received conflicting information. Despite some of the helpful advice received here there doesn't appear to be a clear cut answer

I have learnt however that people like you seem to exist everywhere. What a wonderful experience it must be to work with you in real life.
OWCH!! (second ! to make up the minimum number of characters required for a post, not to add more emphasis!)

Reply to Part L - MH11 LEDs in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net