Discuss Part P? Are we all being misled? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Elidor

The building regulations are statutory and legally binding. No problem there. Part P on the other hand is a guidance document and NOT statutory? My understanding is that we are under NO obligation to adopt any particular solution detailed in any of the approved documents as long as the requirements of the building regulations are met in another way and do not compromise safety? Correct?

Where in the "Statutory" regulations is it a requirement to notify building authorities of any domestic electrical work or pay to register yourself as a competent person with one of the Part P scheme providers?

Surely it's in everyone’s financial interest to meet the requirements of the building regulations in a way that doesn’t involve handing over hard earnt cash to the likes of the NICEIC just for the fun of it? Do we really have to?

I understand and appreciate the importance of standards and on the surface the system looks like a good idea but does it work? Does it stop people carrying out poor quality, dangerous installation work?

Looks to me that it forces the minority of tradesmen who have good industry qualifications and are capable of carrying out the work with a genuine understanding of electrical safety charge so much more money than the "Kev's mate" who will do the best job ever for 20 quid no questions asked. As a domestic customer with no understanding of all this red tape who will you chose to carry out the work if you are paying for it?

Has anyone ever been prosecuted for carrying out domestic electrical installation work safely and not being part of a scheme sponsor or informing the building authorities?

[FONT=&quot]Rant over, any feedback much appreciated.[/FONT]

The need to notify any work under the Part P legislation that entails notifiable work is the statutory part of the building regulations. As like all the Parts to the legislation they are all guidance notes and do not preclude us in carrying out work in another manner that is consider within the scope of the regulations.

It is a lot like the BS 7671-2008 which are not considered statutory but by adherence to them it is deemed legal, as they can be used in a court of law to ascertain innocence or guilt in regards to electrical work. In reality if you conduct work to the BS 7671-2008 and take the guidance if Part P document, it would proove your compliance.

It is a lot like the BS 7671-2008 which are not considered statutory but by adherence to them it is deemed legal, as they can be used in a court of law to ascertain innocence or guilt in regards to electrical work. In reality if you conduct work to the BS 7671-2008 and take the guidance if Part P document, it would proove your compliance.

I dont have a problem with compliance where technical and safety recomendations are made, I dont understand why its necessary to pay some organisation to officialy be part of a scheme. That part is clearly designed to profit from hard working tradesmen as its only the honest hardworking ones who bother to register.

How many electrical installations are carried out by non qualified tradesmen who profit by not working to the Part P recomendations? And what gets done about it? Nothing :(

What can be done about it? Can they be punished for not carrying out the installation in acordance with a document issued as guidance only?

Last edited by a moderator:
Doing a bit of searching i cant find anyone that's be prosecuted for not notifying or not being part of a part p organisation.
All prosecutions i have found have been down to poor non compliant work.

Its crazy that if not part p you can put up a light in a restaurant kitchen but not in a domestic one.

What we need is a level playing field and publicity like a Gas safe system that covers all electrical work not a half way house that is part P

I think something as simple and cheap! as the JIB card says enough it shows your quals and does away with registered schemes which after all are just all for profit organisations.

The more you try and regulate any industry the more the cowboys will infiltrate because it makes that industry more expensive and therefore gives the cowboy a greater return

Until you stop the likes of B & Q ,Wicks,electrical wholesalers and hardware shops etc, from selling electrical equipment to joe public
you will never stop the cowboys from installing it.If they cant buy it they cant fit it.

That's like saying 'Why do we have to pay 'Planning Fees' and 'Building Regulation Fees' to build my extension, lay new drains etc etc.
Because if you don't, it won't get signed off as compliant and they'll probably tell you to rip it down again.

Registration with a 'Part P' scheme gives you the means to bypass these fees and inspections and allows you to self-certify your work as compliant.

How is that so hard to understand?

You don't have to join a scheme - but the customer will then have to pay additional BC fees, so you probably won't get many jobs.

Part P of the building regs is 'statutory' and the documents are guidance on how to comply - they are not the only way to comply and it's not only 'Part P' that you, as an electrician, have to comply with - there are all the other parts as well.

When you notify your work via a 'scheme', you are self-certifying that it complies with ALL building regulations and BS7671.....if not, someone has to fork out for it to be inspected - or the customer doesn't get their 'completion' certificate.

Do away with Part P!,and register all who passes C&G 2391 to certify electrical work,after all the 2391 is the hardest of all exams and surely proves your competency to carry out and test/certificate electrical work.(and BTW i sit mine in august)

Let's not single one out - do away with 'Part B' & 'Part M' as well, I say!:D

How can you say 'do away with' a part of the building regulations?

Should we do away with part of the 'Traffic Regulations' as well because some people don't like them?

Personally I'm all for part P schemes. Lets face it how many of us would callibrate testers yearly and have all the proper docs bang up to date unless we were being checked? I think it helps with customers and offers some form of comeback if they are not happy with work. Yes, I agree there will always be cowboys, but you will never stop that and getting the work is not always about the price, in my experience cutomers invest in you and how professional you present yourself. The ones that dont usually end up on t.v crying that the £500 rewire they paid for was not up to scratch.

LABC have made it so the fees are so expensive membership of a scheme is a must. I also have found that most people are aware of part P and certification. Given the local authority fees, joining a scheme is actually fairly good value with it paying for itself in a couple of jobs. It also means that you keep up to date with new working practices which people just would not do if you qualified and were left to it and not regulated. Just my opinion...

Until you stop the likes of B & Q ,Wicks,electrical wholesalers and hardware shops etc, from selling electrical equipment to joe public
you will never stop the cowboys from installing it.If they cant buy it they cant fit it.

This idea is a non starter unless it is made illegal for joe public to carry out any electrical work.....what is the point of telling people they cant buy stuff but they can fit it ???
The constant banging on about stopping the sheds selling gear which anyone can legally install gets on my goat.....makes as much sense as saying fat blokes shouldnt be allowed to buy pork pies.

Part P of the building regs is 'statutory' and the documents are guidance on how to comply - they are not the only way to comply...

Ok, Where does it state they are statutory?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I’m just confused to hell as everyone makes authoritive statements on this and many other forums that these "Approved Documents" are "Mandatory", "Legally binding", "Statutory" etc. yet the Part P document itself states clearly under the "use of guidance section" that there is no obligation to adopt any solution contained in the approved documents...

I was originally questioning the requirement to notify building control either directly or through a scheme sponsor. If this a requirement clearly detailed in the Building Regulations then fine, not a problem (I don’t have a copy yet). If it’s a requirement under Part P, and I’m interpreting the above statement correctly then I’m under no obligation to adopt any solution contained in the approved documents... So I’m under no obligation to notify the building authorities directly or via a scheme sponsor? (Question not statement)

I’m still learning and have probably missed some key point but rather than just tell me im worng is anyone able to show me with reference to relevant docs? Its the only way I learn lol

I don’t have a copy of the building regulations to refer yet, anyone know where I can get a copy or is purchasing a hard copy from HMSO the only option? I did have a link to a online version in my coursework but the link no longer works.

Do away with Part P!,and register all who passes C&G 2391 to certify electrical work,after all the 2391 is the hardest of all exams and surely proves your competency to carry out and test/certificate electrical work.(and BTW i sit mine in august)

Whilst I understand what you’re saying in the most general of terms this isn’t and would never be the right way.

The 2391 really when all said and done is a course for PIR's (in the broadest of terms) everything else you learn earlier in your courses to become an electrician. Unless you undertake PIR's day in day out IMHO there is very little need for the 2391.

Granted it will open doors for you and allow you to undertake PIR's with the legal system partly behind you should you fall foul.

I know of a few plumbers (why is there the dislike between sparky's and plumbers????, I digress) who have sat their Part P course done the 2382 and then go onto sit and pass their 2391, all by reading the books available. Does that make them more able to certify work than me... Does it F**K!!! but on paper it does. I've been a sparky for a long time, only now that I am going into business for myself am I contemplating doing the 2391, does that mean I don’t know how to test or do PIR's no it does not, I’m very proficient in both.

Having to have 2391 to certify your work is unfeasible it would diminish the qualification we all have and prove to make them worthless. When inspection and testing is done at grass roots level....

Paper only goes so far to provide competency experience is the key!!!

There is no sure fire way to eradicate all the cowboys around, it’s not just the kitchen fitter and the like it’s also time served sparky’s that will not change with the times. Despite what we all think Part P is more than likely here to stay so embrace it, don’t fight it!

Personally the way I see it as long as I know my work is 100% right and I can rectify other peoples mess ups then I’m happy, it keeps me in work. Why should I worry about what other people are doing and that they're taking my work, at the end of the day if you’re not getting any work its cause your doing something wrong. You have to be more than a sparky to be in business these days!!!

Ok, Where does it state they are statutory?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I’m just confused to hell as everyone makes authoritive statements on this and many other forums that these "Approved Documents" are "Mandatory", "Legally binding", "Statutory" etc. yet the Part P document itself states clearly under the "use of guidance section" that there is no obligation to adopt any solution contained in the approved documents...

I was originally questioning the requirement to notify building control either directly or through a scheme sponsor. If this a requirement clearly detailed in the Building Regulations then fine, not a problem (I don’t have a copy yet). If it’s a requirement under Part P, and I’m interpreting the above statement correctly then I’m under no obligation to adopt any solution contained in the approved documents... So I’m under no obligation to notify the building authorities directly or via a scheme sponsor? (Question not statement)

I’m still learning and have probably missed some key point but rather than just tell me im worng is anyone able to show me with reference to relevant docs? Its the only way I learn lol

I don’t have a copy of the building regulations to refer yet, anyone know where I can get a copy or is purchasing a hard copy from HMSO the only option? I did have a link to a online version in my coursework but the link no longer works.

The way it works is this:

Parliment pass an act, in this case the building Act 1984 for that Act come regulations in our case Part P of the building regulations 2010. so yes they are law and are statutory.

Part P is part of the said Building regulations and so yes this requires you to either notify LABC or sign up to a scheme. BS7671 is the standard we work to.

Have a look on legislation.gov.uk about the building regulations and you can obtain copy's of the complete building regulations fairly cheaply if not free. try googling and it'll come up with loads of options.

Maybe this is why places like B & Q/ Wickes/ homebase/ and the like can sell electrical items to jo public, as it is not law, and just a guidance?
The building regulations are statutory and legally binding. No problem there. Part P on the other hand is a guidance document and NOT statutory? My understanding is that we are under NO obligation to adopt any particular solution detailed in any of the approved documents as long as the requirements of the building regulations are met in another way and do not compromise safety? Correct?

Where in the "Statutory" regulations is it a requirement to notify building authorities of any domestic electrical work or pay to register yourself as a competent person with one of the Part P scheme providers?

Surely it's in everyone’s financial interest to meet the requirements of the building regulations in a way that doesn’t involve handing over hard earnt cash to the likes of the NICEIC just for the fun of it? Do we really have to?

I understand and appreciate the importance of standards and on the surface the system looks like a good idea but does it work? Does it stop people carrying out poor quality, dangerous installation work?

Looks to me that it forces the minority of tradesmen who have good industry qualifications and are capable of carrying out the work with a genuine understanding of electrical safety charge so much more money than the "Kev's mate" who will do the best job ever for 20 quid no questions asked. As a domestic customer with no understanding of all this red tape who will you chose to carry out the work if you are paying for it?

Has anyone ever been prosecuted for carrying out domestic electrical installation work safely and not being part of a scheme sponsor or informing the building authorities?

[FONT=&quot]Rant over, any feedback much appreciated.[/FONT]

Maybe this is why places like B & Q/ Wickes/ homebase/ and the like can sell electrical items to jo public, as it is not law, and just a guidance?

Exactly....joe public can do whatever they like in their homes if it doesnt come under part p,if it does then they can still do it and notify and pay the fee.....thats why it's pointless to keep bleating on about stopping the sheds selling them the gear.....The only difference between them and us is we pay into a scam to self notify.

Remember as well that probably the majority of minor works jobs likely to be attempted by non electricians dont come under part p anyway.

Reply to Part P? Are we all being misled? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net