Search the forum,

Discuss part p assesment in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sima24

Hi guys, got my elecsa assesment in a few weeks and just looking for any tips helps regarding it, if anyone has been or is going through it now.
Job im planning to show is a cu change.
i noticed a few weeks back someone posted on here sayin the inspector checked light switches to check the sleeving, is this required when you change a board?
Also im planning on putting the garage electrics on its own breaker and also a garage unit inside the garage, am i right in thinking the garage unit doesnt need to have an rcd as it will be rcd protected from the cu. Garden pump will also run off garage unit, again rcd protected from the house cu. Is this ok or would it be reccomended to just have an rcd garage unit inside the garage.
Thanks in advance.

I will also update this thread after my inspection with hopefuly some useful information/tips for anyone who will be going through the same thing

if the supply to the garage is RCD'd then it's pointless fitting another. 3 biggies with assessments....

1. safe isolation. 2. paperwork ( insurance, certificates, etc. ) . 3. know what you're doing.

the assessor don't expect you to know all the regs. if unsure, you can look it up. remember, he wants to pass you. it's your money in their bank.

Personally, I would not want to show a garage install for the assessment as there are too many things to get caught out on. Keep it simple. A board change is all that is required so just show that.
For the garage you have to consider if you are exporting the earth and is this acceptable, can the disconnection time be met by your wiring arrangement. Is the cable arrangement acceptable? Are the regulations on volt drop being met? Have you the correct cable for the current carrying capacity you need?
I hate the out buildings where a customer says I want a new board, because their arrangement will normally cost £500 to put right and they are not expecting that, that £500 will not (from their point of view) add anything., they will still have a couple of double sockets and a light, but now it will be fed from an armoured cable earthed at the house end and tt'd at the shed end.

just be sure of the earthing arrangements before proceding with this one wont you..
for a TN system...as tel has pointed out you would use an unprotected way at the house board to feed an armoured sub out to the garage.....RCD (30mA) at the garage end gives additional protection for the finals in there....
if a TT..then 100mA s type top end for the sub....30mA downstream (garage).....that gets you your discrimination...

Thanks, plenty to think about. Its a tncs, the garage is around 3m to the house cu, a fair distance to the last outside light though. Perhaps a loop test from the last garden light might be a good start before proceeding as tbe garden lighting is fed from the current garage unit.
Think i will follow your advice though and stick to something simple, although i would like to be inspected on a more complicated job as i think it would prove my worth a bit more

Had my Elecsa assessment last Thursday and the main points were:-

1) haveing all the necessary paperwork required including qaulifications
2) Safe Isolation
3) Showing you have a good understanding of building regs,17th edition regs and electrical works in general

To be fair to my Assessor he went out of his way to make me feel comfortable (as it was my first assessment) and very understanding that i couldn't just roll off the replies to any questions asked, aslong as i could find the info all was good.

It's easier said than done bit try to relax abit during the whole process and show confidence in what you've done and know (without being over confident) and things will be alot easier. Ask some minor questions aswell to give the assessor the chance to be able to quide you abit....makes then feel useful to you aswell.

Thanks, plenty to think about. Its a tncs, the garage is around 3m to the house cu, a fair distance to the last outside light though. Perhaps a loop test from the last garden light might be a good start before proceeding as tbe garden lighting is fed from the current garage unit.
Think i will follow your advice though and stick to something simple, although i would like to be inspected on a more complicated job as i think it would prove my worth a bit more
well....first thing to consider here is volt drop....as you will no doubt know its 3% for your lighting....what i would be doing as well is before undertaking any work....you need to verefy theres no extranious-conductive-parts in that garage....or you will find yourself extending the equepotential zone out to it....do get a Ze here first won`t you...just to verefy that you actually have a good earth.....and by all means get a Zs on the furthest point as it stands now....just to arm yourself with a bit of info before you start....

Yeh thanks will bare that in mind. Im going to do some pre tests on it before commiting. Its a friend of mine whos house it is, built nust before new regs came in, hemce why only sockets are rcd protected. Bonding is all in place 10mm, and 25mm tails, but planning on changing those anyway. Think i will swing by this week sometime and do some testing before commiting. I am doing it for free so dont think he will mind lol

so what are you doing on this install?...a C/U change in the house to bring it into line with the 17th 1st?....if so then go for a `high integrity` C/U....this will have a couple of unprotected ways on it....for your garage sub...if you want to go that far into it....
you mention that the bonding is in place and is up to current standards.....and the tails are 25mm csa.....so why do you want to change owt there?...

I had to perform afew tests at the board...Ze,PSCC, then a Zs and continuity on new ringmain i'd installed for the kitchen.

With a board change it tends to be the main earth tests from what i've heard, think i had the extra ringmain tests as i'd rewired most of the place i'd used.

Spurred off the ring for a conservatory fan light for my Minor works which he only checked the cert filling for.

, although i would like to be inspected on a more complicated job as i think it would prove my worth a bit more

Don't do this with the assessment where a failure is ggoing to cost you 500 quid for a re take.
Do it as a practice with an experienced electrical inspector friend for a pint. If you don't know any find someone near you. It is always worth being on good terms with other local sparks as you may need them to help out.

Reply to part p assesment in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net