Discuss Part P electrician certifying non-part P electrician question (groan...) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sorry telectrix - PC went T/U for last hour. Yes the building work requires LABC; Yes I've raised Full Plans application (sim. to notice). However your last sentence "they should allow you to certificate the work" is obviously where this discussion centres around because it's not clear how, and mostly they don't ... :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks happyhippydad ...

you prove competence by giving them a copy of your 2382, 2391. then they should tell you to do the work, self-certify it and give them a copy of the cert.

you prove competence by giving them a copy of your 2382, 2391. then they should tell you to do the work, self-certify it and give them a copy of the cert.

I'm happy now - I have my answers - thanks to everyone.

telectrix - your answer prob works in some areas, but not in mine. Unfortunately.

Hi mate

as other have suggested as your competent you can complete relevent certs and have already raised the job with them as part of a larger set of notifiable works so they will jsut charge you a overall fee for all the work and that will include your electrical installation works and you issue then with a copy and keep a copy of your EIC for the work you have designed , installed and inspected and tested as long as you have fully calibrated traceable test equipment

and if they ask for your competence then send them copies of your certificates then its upto them if they accept this or rewire anything further eg a 3rd party sent by then to I&T your work and or charge a fee

as far as completing a EICR formerly PIR yo can do that as anybody can as the only rewuirment for this is your competent and as you have stated you have 2391 then this goes a long way to proving your competence

also read up on new GN3 , elecys guide to building regs , BS7671 2008 amendment no 1 2011 (NEW GREEN COVER) and On site guide may be useful to you

if you get the electricians guide to building regs it will tell you regarding notification exactly what I and other s have told you
1 your either registered with a scheme Ie ELECSA / Napit or the other ones lol and notify your own work through your shceme
2 do the work inform LABC before complete cert give them copy show them Quals ring them and see if that will be ok and see if they want more dosh and or send someone to check your work as you are competent and complete certs etc
3 get a registered spark to do it for you
or DIY it then get LABC to send somoene to test
and giveyou final completion cert
or wait until april and get someone sign it off for you under new set of rules regarding part p

Or jsut do it and say nowt to no one lol but thats your choice not my recommendation

As tel and murdoch have said you have the 2381 and 2391 and if can test yourself should only need to show them a test certificate and pay them(from my past experience) about £60,if you were in there eyes not competent then they would send there own electrician in and charge between £250-500,i had to sign up to a scheme and done a consumer unit upgrade and used the job as an assessment,i had to pay local building control £60 and show them my quals which are nothing compared to you,they cant in my opinion make any further charge to you.tin hat on

Reply to Part P electrician certifying non-part P electrician question (groan...) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net