Discuss Part P in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

You either pay your LABC to notify or join a scheme.

rang my LABC today and they say they stopped doing this service as its not in the interest of their residents, since an electrician using this service would have to charge more. more jobs for the pro's I guess ;)

Damn, just joined the forum, it said I was logged in, spent 21 mins typing loads of info and questions on part P, clicked submit and it said I do not have permission and booted me out.
I then had to read my email and log in again. ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGG

Oh, hello everyone...

I am new to this, so will try again tomorrow, lol

Eliminator Guy :eek:

Damn, just joined the forum, it said I was logged in, spent 21 mins typing loads of info and questions on part P, clicked submit and it said I do not have permission and booted me out.
I then had to read my email and log in again. ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGG

Oh, hello everyone...

I am new to this, so will try again tomorrow, lol

Eliminator Guy :eek:

you might want to post it here but welcome all the same :)

rang my LABC today and they say they stopped doing this service as its not in the interest of their residents, since an electrician using this service would have to charge more. more jobs for the pro's I guess ;)

Part P says the work must be notified before work commences, unless you're in a scheme.

I would suggest that as long as you tell your lbc and you carry out the work to bs7671, then you have complied with the law.

What they do once you notify is up to them, but by my reading of the part p document I would suggest that you are are covered.

Morning folks, I will try again as I need some advice.

I was 40 last week and when I left school I worked with my dad for a few years doing domestic installation (he was a self emlpoyed spark) I then moved on to other things like working in warehouse then moved on to HGV driving. Then 2 years ago I got type 1 diabetes. Due to taking insulin dvla took my HGV licence away, so I have been trying to get back into the domestic installation game, at the start of this year I went to collage to sign up for a 2330 course, but was told that city & guilds have withdrawn the 2330 from sept 2010 so I would not be able to do it.
So I phoned the NICEIC and asked them what do I need to legaly do domestic house rewires on my own, the NIC told me I need 17th and part "P" then I could do full or part domestic installation rewires, then give them £435+VAT and they would inspect 2 of my jobs, if all is good, I would be registered and approved by NICEIC.

So I went to a private training course and did my IEE 17th edition last month, then did my part "P" 2 weeks ago, but after reading the start of this thread, I feel that I have wasted my time,

What I need to know is, now I have passed both of these how does it work...

If I do a full house rewire and want to sign my work off, were do I get the certificates from ?

or

Do I do the rewire then phone NICEIC and once they have tested my work, do they give me the certificates ?

Any advice would be great.
thanks

Eliminator Guy

Certificates can be copied from the Wiring Regs Book (big red one) or Approved doc P.
You can also download them from NICEIC ELESA NAPIT etc.

if the nic are still the same they will require you to use their own certs which you can order direct fromm them or from city electrical if you want to save on the postage costs.

if the nic are still the same they will require you to use their own certs which you can order direct fromm them or from city electrical if you want to save on the postage costs.

I just phoned my local city electrical factors and they said they don't do anything like that, would prob have to get them from NICEIC.

What is the cert I issue actually called as I have seen some saying 17th edition and others saying part P domestic installation ?

Thanks

What is the cert I issue actually called as I have seen some saying 17th edition and others saying part P domestic installation ?

Thanks

an electrical installation certificate (EIC)

minor works (MW)

PIR periodic,
i thought you said you had done the part p course mate? if so they really should have enlightened you on the certs, don`t take it as a criticism to you it`s directed at the course, it`s really shocking that you could do a course and not know which certs and what they are called.

Yes, I have just done the part P, but it was that rushed, it was a lot to take in at once. lol thats why I am double checking on here before I do anything;)

If you mean scheme = niceic or something then no, it does not include it.

The part P, I did was a private training DISQ qualification for £595 + VAT and that was for a 1 week course and your test.

From the NICEIC website

The qualification is achieved following successful completion of all 14 modular components, each of which has either practical assessment units and/or multiple choice theory assessment units. The modular components cover the significant aspects of electrical installations practices associated with domestic premises and when completed will satisfy the competency requirements of the Government Approved Competent Persons Schemes.

The DISQ is a 5 day programme comprising of training and assessment, to meet all the needs of the competent person scheme

You may or may not agree with my comments, however I need to make these comments because I feel the Niceic is, and has bee,n destroying the domestic sector for the traditional spark

There is no critisism of yourself intended with my comments,because this course was hopefully intended for people with the on the job experience that you have but who lack qualification for domestic installs covered by part p building regs

There is no evidence of on the job experience or training required as a pre requisit for entry on to their course that I could find,so they just sign them on,charge a lot of money then sign them up

How do they possibly think that 5 days of training manages to give the theoretical and practical skills required before being let loose on the unsuspecting customer, wholly unprepared unskilled workers , with the endorsment of that deplorable organisation the Niceic the customer may be unknowingly re assured by registration with that contemptable lot

What takes many people years of hard work and study ,to then find that an organisation such as the Niceic promotes this sort of thing is pathetic and annoying

If I were a member of that shoddy outfit I would make it known to them that they are selling the trade of electrician down the river for a few bob in training fees :mad:

There got that off my chest :)

some people are clever & can pick things up quick, but ive been at it for 6 years & still ask questions.
im jib approved & get anchious when im not sure on somthing & no some sparks who aint got a clue if it aint metal munching or provided with a desighned drawing.
i wouldnt let someone do gas or electric in my house on the back of a week's course:eek:

nice to see my thread is been utilised just how i would have wnated it too!! keep it up guys.

EIC / MW and PIR forms can be found in bs7671 towards the back!! alternatively they can be bought on ebay downloaded from various schemes websites!! (i like elecsa ones as they are simple and not full of junk) or created on software that cost millions of pounds!! :)

Reply to Part P in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net