Discuss pat testing repairs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the forum hope this post is in the right place

What i want to know is can you complete repairs to items that have failed pat testing due to holes / cracks in the plastic case.
For instance i have a soldering iron in my work shop with a hole in the blue case, if i was to cover the hole in a piece of plastic and glue with epoxy resin could i then pass it?

Cant seem to find any info on it.

Cheers
Nick

Nick how much really is a new soldering iron? Is the Heath Robinson approach really going save you money.

If it was a really specalised piece of equipment it maybe worth looking into. But bottom line even then I doubt very much anyone would put his reputation on the line and say that a repair as made id safe, and fail it automatically

I expect he means an iron base station, which if it is a top of the line model could run into hundreds. For me the criterion is always - would the repaired item comply with all the regulations and standards and pass all the tests that the original item did? If you don't know, then you can't pass it.

Nick how much really is a new soldering iron? Is the Heath Robinson approach really going save you money.

If it was a really specalised piece of equipment it maybe worth looking into. But bottom line even then I doubt very much anyone would put his reputation on the line and say that a repair as made id safe, and fail it automatically
Absolutely hilarious, because I can remember Heath Robinson I can appreciate this reply, I not only spat beer out across the floor I am still blowing my nose at the moment to get the beer out of it, thanks Malcolm, this is so funny haha.

If it's a Weller PU3D or PU2D, there was an official mod. to fit a metal plate in the bottom of the sponge holder on the top of the unit so over-enthusiastic poking of the sponge didn't melt a hole in the top of the case. Otherwise, the innards got soaked when it was "watered" and severely compromised the insulation between mains and the iron...

Reply to pat testing repairs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net