Search the forum,

Discuss Pat testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aye earth bond is 0.00 on most items

Thats surprising, doesnt sound right. We just had our PAT tester calibrated and on the earth bond for IEC leads out of about 30 leads everyone read 0.00ohms, so Ive sent it back.

Also as mentioned look for the 2 squares symbol, if its not there then test it as class 1...

Hi, The way to tell if something is Class 1 or Class 2 is to look for the 'square box' symbol. If you see that symbol then it's Class 2, if not then you must treat it as a Class 1.

Extension leads should ALWAYS be made of 3 core cable, and will need testing for Earth Bond and Insulation. Most PAT Testers also have the facility to do a Polarity test as well.

When testing a kettle the best place to get a good earth is the element. If it's a solid base kettle then try putting a screwdriver onto the base and putting the clip onto that.

If your PAT Tester doesn't have a facility for testing extension leads (all the modern ones do) then another option is to carry out the earth and insulation tests on the kettle, then plug that into the end of the extension lead and do the same tests again. You might get a slightly higher earth bond reading, dependent on the length of the cable.

Hope this helps!

Tim
and if theres no evidence of the double square logo....or your unsure/can`t confirm/not verefied that an item is either class 1 or 2.....then treat it as class 1...

if it was hard wired into an isolator I would not class it as portable. that's part of the fixed instalation.

Emm no its not, a fixed appliance comes under ISI&TEE formally PAT a fixed installation stops at the socket /FCU/DP isolator thats what is causing a lot of bother within PAT as guys who are PAT trained and not electricians are not authorised to go into FCUs and DP isolators so the urban myth of if it aint got a plug top on it you dont PAT test well thats just plain wrong if its electrical equipment no matter how its wired then it supposed to be PAT tested.

Just to add storage heaters , ovens, hoods, come under ISI&TEE

Emm no its not, a fixed appliance comes under ISI&TEE formally PAT a fixed installation stops at the socket /FCU/DP isolator thats what is causing a lot of bother within PAT as guys who are PAT trained and not electricians are not authorised to go into FCUs and DP isolators so the urban myth of if it aint got a plug top on it you dont PAT test well thats just plain wrong if its electrical equipment no matter how its wired then it supposed to be PAT tested.

Just to add storage heaters , ovens, hoods, come under ISI&TEE

Yes point taken and I don't disagree but as a PAT service it stops at the Plug for me. I'm happy to test hard wired items with my safeblock but not at normal rates!

Reply to Pat testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back