Discuss Patch panel earthing in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Darkwood

Staff member
Mod
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Just throwing this one out there into the bullring, occasionally i get asked to supply a socket for a wall mounted patch panel or a free standing cabinet which is initially empty cannot be guessed for earth leakage due to future expansion so in my mind as one option requires a 10mm earth bonding as the mA leakage may exceed 10mA but i never see this on new installs etc by others.
Just want your feedback.
CHEERS :)

Presumably its not domestic and that it is meant for IT equipment then you wouldn't fit RCD to socket and if it was on wheel then why would you want to bond it? unless it was in a bathroom :rolleyes:

Presumably its not domestic and that it is meant for IT equipment then you wouldn't fit RCD to socket and if it was on wheel then why would you want to bond it? unless it was in a bathroom :rolleyes:
I never mentioned an rcd unit im refering to reg 543.7.1.3 concerning final circuits supplying equipment with a high earth currents exceeding 10mA.

Last edited:
Always supply a 10mm earth myself.

Designers always ask for it in specs, and have seen instances of high earth leakage from cabs. A good practice in my opinion.

Yes you would need to allow for high integrity earthing as it will probably be used for IT equipment of some sort
It wasnt a question i wanted answering as i already do this it was a query as to why in new installs etc for schools and offices do i not see these cabinets with high earth protection as it is required unless you can prove the leakage is under 10mA but as i mentioned it dont allow for upgrade or expansion.
Thanks for reply though just wanted someone who installs these supplies to defend no hi leakage earthing to these cabs, i even do the portable tall standing ones as once they are wired up with data cables they aint going anywhere without full disconnection.

Sorry Darkwood, I was trying to do the wage run and waiting for reply to my CT ratio query and was only really skim-reading everything else ..............ha ha, obviously my mind was on getting up town :cool:

I have seen some with earths and some without, as usual the installers with a conscience will fit it even if there is no kit in place and the others will either not know what the regs are or leave it out, on the grounds that there was was no leakage at the time of install.

Reply to Patch panel earthing in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net