Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss PC power supply, Please Help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Mrpotatohead

Mrpotatohead EF Member

Hello,

My PC Power Supply Unit came fitted with a 13A fuse in the power cable. When i just turned my pc on it blown the fuse and now its completely dead. I took the Power Supply Unit out and checked the label and it says:

Input Current 10A – 5A

I did not realise this as i thought the cable that came with the unit would just work straight out the box! My question is, do i use a 10A fuse or 5A?? and would they be safe to plug in a power strip?

Thank you!

2. Bob Geldoff1234

Bob Geldoff1234 Regular EF Member

If the fuse went with a bang then it's unlikely that a new one will work.
    It looks like you will need a new power supply.
    Is the computer a laptop or a tower?

• Like Like x 2
  3. LeeH

LeeH Insert witty monkey comment here. Electrician's Arms

13A is the correct size.

As Bob said, if it’s popping fuses throw it away.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. dmxtothemax

dmxtothemax Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    David Haddock Electronic Repairs
    No computor would ever need 10A at mains voltage,
    It may hit very brief pulses of 10A
    probably during switch on.
    I think on a long term average 5a would be plenty.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mrpotatohead

Mrpotatohead EF Member

The computer is a tower, the power supply is completely dead. Every time i switch the switch at the socket it makes a pop sound but this time it sparked and the fuse jumped in my house.

The label says Input Current 10A – 5A

Why was a 13A fitted? when the label says 10A- 5A. what is the correct Fuse AMP that i need?

6. Mrpotatohead

Mrpotatohead EF Member

Why is 13A correct???

7. LeeH

1. It came with a 13A from the manufacturer.
    2. 3A is too small
    3. The code of practice for testing and inspecting portable appliances only recognises 3A and 13A.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Mrpotatohead

Mrpotatohead EF Member

So if the 13A is correct what caused it to blow? This is the second time it has happened, the current power supply unit is a replacement.

9. Pete E

Pete E DIY

Is the power supply the correct one for the PC?

Are you plugging the power lead direct into the socket in the wall, or via any extension leads?

I am not a spark, but I would think the PC might be faulty or failing that, possibly a fault in the socket where the power lead is plugged into....

If you are unsure about these things, you will either need to get the PC checked or call a spark to verify the eclectics are ok...

10. TonyMitchell

TonyMitchell Regular EF Member

Did you experience the same with the original PSU, i.e. blowing fuses?
    Or is this unique to the replacement?

In a fault condition, an appliance may attempt to draw an unlimited amount of current, which is why there are protective devices in place. The first protective device is the fuse in the plugtop, which is what has blown in this case, as it should. Upstream from that you'll have a miniature circuit breaker, or fuse of some sort (which would have blown if the fused plugtop were not there). My point being, the size of the fuse is not the cause of the problem.

11. Pete E

Pete E DIY

Just another thought, but don't tower PC usually have a built in PSU meaning they just use a power lead to connect to the mains?

In fact I don't recall the last time I saw a tower PC with a separate PSU...

12. Martyn Fletcher

Martyn Fletcher Regular EF Member

If your PC is drawing enough current to blow a 13A fuse then I would suggest your PSU is faulty and you need to get it checked/changed.
    Even an 850 Watt PSU at 240V will draw less than 4A so the 13A fuse is overkill from the outset and risked frying something.
    Due to the use of the interchangeable "Kettle leads" many PC owners and incompetent repairers ended up using a 13A kettle lead to replace the 5A power lead supplied by manufacturers.
    Edit: Internally your PC may draw higher currents through the various rails as it is running at lower voltages, but this will not blow a fuse in your power lead.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  13. LeeH

Maybe it’s just faulty, incorrect size.

14. TonyMitchell

TonyMitchell Regular EF Member

The OP hasn't said it is a "separate" PSU, in the first post he said he took it out to check...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Pete E

Pete E DIY

I'm with you now ..it was just the way I was reading it...