Discuss Periodic fault codes in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have to admit I would code 2 a socket outlet that could supply a piece of mobile equipment less than 32 amp outdoors, ie a ground floor circuit with sockets near a door or window, in any installation, where that circuit was not RCD protected.

And that's where competence comes into play.

How can you provide a code for every scenario, supply type and circumstance that crops up from installation to installation?

Each code allocation is a risk assessment carried out by the competent inspector using all of the information at his/her disposal.

A defect in a factory will have a totally different risk element than the same defect in a primary school.

That is why an above-average knowledge of BS7671:2008 and the type of installation being inspected is so important to attempt to eradicate the rubbish that I get to read week in and week out, masquerading as a periodic inspection report.

And i take it there's no real way around that lack of competency, because that will only come from experience and understanding of what those circumstances, the test results coupled with the risk assessment actually mean!!!

OK, thanks Spin and yourself IQ, i can now better understand why so many queries are seen on these forums relating to these 4 code allocations...

You say that your companies main area of work these day's is in these PIR's and other testing formats, ..does your company implement any ongoing training schemes for trainee's ?? I think it might be a good idea to tie up with a local collage and give a selected few some broad based training in the Inspection and testing side of a trainee electricians training. Might be a very worth while addition to your local electrical industry too ...lol!!!

Another point to consider as far as test and inspection is concerned
An opinoin of an installation requires competence in the understanding of the test results and a knowlege of that type of installation

In a nutshell,the person doing the inspection should be familliar and experienced of those installations

That means that to be familliar requires that installation experience of doing that type of work is necessary so that comparisons can be made,it is esential

Periodics are the achiles heel of the industry,too many or even the majority of these pirs in whatever sector, in essence, are toilet roll value

The industry should address this but it turns it head away continually

And i take it there's no real way around that lack of competency, because that will only come from experience and understanding of what those circumstances, the test results coupled with the risk assessment actually mean!!!

OK, thanks Spin and yourself IQ, i can now better understand why so many queries are seen on these forums relating to these 4 code allocations...

You say that your companies main area of work these day's is in these PIR's and other testing formats, ..does your company implement any ongoing training schemes for trainee's ?? I think it might be a good idea to tie up with a local collage and give a selected few some broad based training in the Inspection and testing side of a trainee electricians training. Might be a very worth while addition to your local electrical industry too ...lol!!!

The problem is, most that are still training are not ready for the intricacies of periodic inspection, it's one specific area where you absolutely cannot substitute experience of a wide range of installations and device types that could be up to 50 years old.

Anyway, code 4 ceases to exist in a few months with the introduction of the Electrical Installation Condition Report and then the fun can really begin with the coding posts!

I've been asked by the IET as a 'spinoff' to the Guidance Note 3 rewrite to look at suggested codings for the soon to be amended ESC Best Practice Guide 4 and I see many discussions ahead before agreement will be reached in that respect ;)

The problem is, most that are still training are not ready for the intricacies of periodic inspection, it's one specific area where you absolutely cannot substitute experience of a wide range of installations and device types that could be up to 50 years old.

Anyway, code 4 ceases to exist in a few months with the introduction of the Electrical Installation Condition Report and then the fun can really begin with the coding posts!

I've been asked by the IET as a 'spinoff' to the Guidance Note 3 rewrite to look at suggested codings for the soon to be amended ESC Best Practice Guide 4 and I see many discussions ahead before agreement will be reached in that respect ;)

If i know how the Institutes discussions go, which i DO, then we won't be seeing much of you on here!!! lol!! I wish you luck IQ, i hope you have a lot of patience mate, and don't mind listening to a lot of twoddle, and someone popping up out of the blue, wanting/insisting to make amendments just as you think you've got the whole thing nailed!!!

Reply to Periodic fault codes in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net