Discuss Periodic Testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

If you are asked to do an EICR on a property, you have no idea who installed it if there is no paperwork.
You just report on the installation as you find it.
If Johny DIY has done it and it shows, then it gets an unsatisfactory result.
If it checks out, it gets a satisfactory result.

It is just a report not a certificate.

Work done without notification is still illegal no matter how many condition reports it has :)

This 3rd part certification is a load of nonsense, it should be stopped. It is far too open to people getting bunged to make out they have done the work in this sort of scenario. The only way anyone can honestly say that an installation has been installed to the regulations is to be on site during almost all of the work, and as others have said who is going to do that when they could be doing the job? The only way it should be allowed is with bigger firms who have dedicated inspectors who are on site and keep a proper account of things. I know for a fact there is a guy round my way doing it who only ever goes on site when all the works done!

I know for a fact there is a guy round my way doing it who only ever goes on site when all the works done!

seem to turn a blind eye and not alowed to talk about such things.
when i was doing my testing courses, my tutor had one guy who did houses and had to do about 3 a day.
My tutor did his own house and took him all day to do a full test on it.

and i know my sisters house wasnt testing, as i found lose wires, and one socket wired wrong L-N crossed over.
i think im going to look at the test results i think the whole lot is fudge really.
Tutor also talked about how some people do VAN TESTS, were they just sit in the Van writing in Figures.

To OP, you don't know whose done what. Get in there, carry out a i&t, get your money and give them EICR. Job done
With respect that's not on is it? You have just said yourself you have no idea what is lurking behind the scenes, so only a fool would put his name to it. This is peoples safety we are talking about.

Are you telling me for PIR you carry out you know what's lurking behind the scenes. It's not a EIC its a EICR.
Thats the point, its an EICR on something that has never had an EIC, isn't it? If someone has done a CU change and added sockets etc, then a cert for that work should be issued, not an EICR? When you do an EICR you would like to think that the installation was actually certificated properly on day one, whenever that might have been?

Thats the point, its an EICR on something that has never had an EIC, isn't it? If someone has done a CU change and added sockets etc, then a cert for that work should be issued, not an EICR? When you do an EICR you would like to think that the installation was actually certificated properly on day one, whenever that might have been?

In a perfect world yes that would be the case but tell me how many times when you asked for previous paper work they had in hand? I can count in one hand the times that happen to me. My experience anyway.

In a perfect world yes that would be the case but tell me how many times when you asked for previous paper work they had in hand? I can count in one hand the times that happen to me. My experience anyway.
Yes mate I agree with you. However, you would like to think that a lot of them were done years back and to a decent standard. Personally, I wouldn't go near 3rd party stuff with a bargepole, I ain't that desperate, and like I said I think it's a crap idea open to abuse. In this original case, there should be a proper EIC issued, not an EICR, an you can't issue one unless you have either done the work or witnessed it being done, start to finish, IMO.

Well somebody must be doing this 'retrospective' EICR. You can apply for 'Regularisation Certificate' of the building regs for electrical works. My LBC charge a fee £618. No idea how it actually works, and whether somebody has followed this process. But it is in place.

am wondering if i should of suggested..

You do the New Sockets, and fix the Light and i can Watch/Point out any error and test the Consumer Unit.

Reply to Periodic Testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net