Discuss Phone jacks broken? (CONFUSED!) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MartinMcG

In the lower landing of my home I have a phone jack in the wall which has the home telephone and router connected to it. In my sons room he has an identical phone jack in the wall. The problem is when I try and plug the telephone and router in to it there is no signal, almost like this phone jack is off? People have told me the jack is a 'dud' and that its been disconnected by the phone company, though I took it off of the wall and all wires are still intact. How can I reactivate this phone jack? Please help.

Hi Martin - Welcome to the Forum from the Staff.

If there are wires in the upstairs phone point connected to terminals 2,3 and 5 then it must have been connected at some point.
If it is possible to trace the cable, if it is surface run, then you may be able to find where the end is, alternatively it might be worth looking inside your main phone point and see if there is a disconnected cable inside the box that you may be able to reconnect.
Match the connections found in the one upstairs,however it is normally 2 blue white 3 orange white 5 white blue.
You would need an IDC insertion tool to push the cables into the terminals.

Thanks for the insight! Unfortunately I can't trace the wires as they run straight into the wall. I was thinking of calling my broadband provider (Sky) and asking if they could send someone out to fix it for me, but if they can do that I fear it may be very pricey.

Thanks for the insight! Unfortunately I can't trace the wires as they run straight into the wall. I was thinking of calling my broadband provider (Sky) and asking if they could send someone out to fix it for me, but if they can do that I fear it may be very pricey.

Everything for the last decade has been wireless so I'm struggling to see your worry, Phones, computers, speakers etc can now be just plugged in anyway or run on their battery and have no need for data wiring, can you explain why wireless tech' isn't your solution?

You don't say is this an old house, or a recent build? I ask, because I have come across new builds where not all the phone outlets are connected, even though there appears to be wiring in place - because the builders like to charge for extra phone outlets (and other things), so for those that won't pay, they leave non-working outlets!

The wireless connection is very poor and we wanted to wire the PC and Xbox straight to the router for better performance. Also my house is an old build, it seems they cut this box off to make the one in the hall the main source.

If you do not have a cable going from this point to the main point then just run a new cable from the main point to this point, remove the old cable and connect in the new cable.
Anyone coming to fix the telephone point who can confirm that the cable is not continuous back to the main telephone point will have to come up with the same resolution.

However it is very odd that someone removed part of a cable, it can happen but is much less likely.
However there could be a fault on the cable that is causing it not to work but as we do not know where the other end is located it is not possible to test.

Reply to Phone jacks broken? (CONFUSED!) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net